Destino – A Film by Salvador Dalí and Walt Disney

I can’t believe I haven’t seen this until, but it’s the true. It’s hard to describe this, so I’ll let Wikipedia do the hard work for me:

Destino is a short animated cartoon released in 2003 by The Walt Disney Company. Destino is unique in that its production originally began in 1945, 58 years before its eventual completion. The project was a collaboration between American animator Walt Disney and Spanish painter Salvador Dalí, and features music written by Mexican songwriter Armando Dominguez.

Watching this video it feels like it should be a sequel to Fantasia, an other-worldly and trippy movie that everyone should absolutely should see. And in fact, the whole thing was put together by the folks who worked on Fantasia 2000, so it sort of makes sense. I never thought of Dalí’s work being animated before, but when you watch this it absolutely makes sense. More of them fine art fancy painters should have gotten into cartoons!

Found through Planetary Folklore

9 Comments Destino – A Film by Salvador Dalí and Walt Disney

1. monica October 30, 2009 at 12:07 AM

i love this! i, um, blogged about it a few months ago too.

i mean to be as benevolent as possible, in a “me too!” sort of way.

it was on youtube for a while, but obviously they took it down from there. so glad you found it and posted it!

2. ben October 30, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Wow that is incredible. The dandelion clock bit is pure fantasia. Thanks for posting.

3. Woody October 30, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Thanks much for this one. I was a Dali nut when I was a kid and was obsessed with this project, based on a few stills I had seen in books (from the turtle scene). I can’t believe this got released in 2003 and I have not seen it until now. Looking forward to the DVD release / documentary in 2010.

4. George October 30, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Hey can someone give me more details on this DVD documentary coming out!
    I’ve seen this before, didn’t know they were re-releasing it? And is it out on DVD right now? I’ve been searching but no luck yet.

5. Robert October 30, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Uh oh!

6. madex October 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM

7. Pingback: Daily Research » Shared Items - October 30, 2009

8. K.y. October 31, 2009 at 12:59 PM

cartoons and movies certainly can be considered the ultimate art form. Cartoons can encompass so much in every frame. It’s animators like these that really make me want to pursue a career in animation. I really liked your last comment in this post: “More of them fine art fancy painters should have gotten into cartoons!”

It’s so true. Could you imagine what their cartoons would even look like? It would be ah-ma-zing.