We Never Heard Its Noise | A Kitsune Noir Mixtape

Last week I said I wouldn’t be making a Mixtape for Halloween. Well, I kind of lied. As I started to think about it, I realized that while I couldn’t make an epic Halloween dance mix like Punchy did with Hellaween, I figured I could make something creepy as hell.

The following mix is one of the weirdest and most complex things I’ve ever made. Usually when I make a mix I have about 12 to 15 tracks, sometimes throwing in some extra sounds here and there. This time around I used 55 to 60. The entire mix is filled with all sorts of weird sounds, strange and disturbing song transitions and a ton of great music to get really creeped out by.

This isn’t going to be everyone’s favorite Mixtape, but I hope you can appreciate what I was trying to do with it. Just as a heads up, the transition between Sébastian Tellier and Smashing Pumpkins is pretty loud and creepy and scary, but for some reason I think it’s absolutely amazing. So please enjoy and let me know what you think, and maybe even play it during your goth Halloween party!

I also wanted to mention that the artwork on the cover is by my BFF and roommate Garrett Vander Leun. He yet again hooked me up with some seriously amazing art to work with. I’ve put his original artwork under the cut and some of the steps I went through to get to the final cover.

Here’s the track listing:

11 Even Balance (Part 2) by UNKLE
12 Horse Tears by Goldfrapp
13 Forest Families by The Knife
14 A Good Place by Grizzly Bear

26 Comments We Never Heard Its Noise | A Kitsune Noir Mixtape

1. Gareth October 28, 2009 at 2:59 AM

I’ll be trying this out on Saturday at a party. Not going to listen to it before then! I’ll let you know how it gets on…!

2. BobbyBobby October 28, 2009 at 3:01 AM

@Gareth – Are you sure that’s a good idea…? haha

3. Elvis October 28, 2009 at 5:57 AM

Thank you.

4. Elvis October 28, 2009 at 5:58 AM

I mean AWESOME … But it is still AWESOME …

5. Jordy October 28, 2009 at 6:53 AM

bobby this is a great mixtape, thanks for putting it out there for us. and your right the transition to smashing pumpkins is incredible. the fade into if i had a heart is great too.

6. Jeff October 28, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Love the motion blur added to the artwork. It makes it scary as hell!

7. Chris October 28, 2009 at 9:01 AM

erm.. maybe I’m just in a bad mood or something but I found this one left me cold. Not one of your best in my opinion Bobby.

8. Kevin Kimmett October 28, 2009 at 9:30 AM

The extra sounds are terrifying, it’s a perfect mix for Halloween!

9. Kit October 28, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Three thumbs up… if it wasn’t just me and this one armed person here it would be four. Told a bunch of people to DL this one for their Halloween bashes. Thanks for a sweet mix

10. Andrew S October 28, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Nice use of Fever Ray AND the Knife, they’re creepy sounding as hell on their own. Sweet mix, sorry I pushed for a dance mix last week. This is definitely kick ass.

11. Chris Leeuw October 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Christmas, er…Halloween, comes early this week.

12. Chipotle October 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I’m not such a fan of Halloween, mostly ’cause it’s an american tradition and now the kids celebrates the halloween instead El Día de Muertos, the proper mexican tradition. Nevertheless, as a mixtape turns out to be rather good, I’ve benn doing some playlist for these days and The Horrors and Smashing Pumplins are actually in my playlist. I’m up for it, a thumb up!! Thanks Bobby, happy Halloween and Día de muertos.

13. Afonso October 28, 2009 at 3:26 PM

This is the best Halloween mix I’ve ever listened to! It can be really spooky, but yet a little fun. :D Thanks!

14. Pingback: We Never Heard Its Noise - A Kitsune Noir Mixtape | Feeder

15. Shanel October 28, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Love it!!!

16. Keghan October 28, 2009 at 7:03 PM

@afonso I don’t think you have heard the hellaween mixtape from last year then.

I thought this mixtape was really good though, very spooky.

17. Yoram Roth October 29, 2009 at 1:17 AM

A question: what are you using to compile your mixtapes? Emulating minds would like to know…

18. Masa October 29, 2009 at 2:20 AM

Bobby, this is just genius. I am always pleasantly surprised by your mixes. Even though I normally shy away from kitschy Halloween mixes, this one is über tasteful and atmospheric. I love love love it. Thanks!

19. Gabriela October 29, 2009 at 1:53 PM

This is awesome! It gives me the chills even in broad daylight… It must be really spooky to hear it on a dark night. You managed to convey a special mood for this mixtape, the songs are impeccable and the transitions add so much to it. Congratulations! Keep on delivering these fenomenal compilations =)

20. Jordie October 30, 2009 at 6:56 AM

This mix was aaaaaaaaaawesome.

21. Pingback: Halloween – eu sei que já passou, obrigado. « Popcorn Panic!

22. Caleb November 2, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Hey Bobby, this is awesome! i had a quick question though: how does it work making mixtapes like these. Like is there anyway to get in trouble for doin this and allowing people to download them? just curious cuz i’ve thought about doin it myself but just wanna be safe.

If anyone could help me answer this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

23. Angelique November 8, 2009 at 7:15 AM

I have fallen in love with this mix. Not totally because it was made for Halloween, but. The sounds. Sobers me up. I love it. *_* ?

24. Jarred Bishop November 16, 2009 at 9:03 PM

You should post your mixes on mixcloud.com

25. Andrew Joan December 13, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Thom Yorke is amazing!

Thanks/keep it up guys.

26. ------ February 25, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Husky Resque, Fever Ray and The Knife – I looooove them. Great choise!