The Third and The Seventh

When I first saw the video above, I thought it must be some well put together clips of a fancy museum that I’d never heard of or been to. But incredibly it’s all computer graphics, and not a bit of it is real. Is your jaw sitting on the floor yet?

This was created by Alex Roman, which isn’t his real name, he was born Jorge Seva, but Alex Roman is his creative name. He was born in Spain in 1979, trained to be a classical painter but after college ended up at a visual effects company. The market in Spain wasn’t exactly booming for computer graphics artists so he took a year long sabbatical and started a project of his own, which he’s called The Third and The Seventh.

When watching the video it becomes apparent that he’s trained in painting, as light and lighting is such a key element. It almost feels like the lighting of each of the scenes is the character in the video, playing the most vital role.

I’ve posted more videos under the cut which give you an even broader look at what Alex is capable of. I highly suggest taking the time to sit down and enjoy each and every one of these. For more insight into Alex’s work be sure to check out this interview he did with Motionographer, where I got most of the above information.

Found through Ministry of Type

9 Comments The Third and The Seventh

1. Emanuel September 23, 2009 at 2:48 AM

I made the mistake of reading the first sentence in the rss reader so i knew that what i was watching isn’t real. Otherwise there is absolutely no chance I would have thought this isn’t the case of really good cinematography. The details and depth of space are amazing; the reflections on the polaroids, the grass.. as you sais, jaw dropping.

thanx for sharing.

2. maurits rozema September 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM

THIS
    IS
    FUCKING
    BRILLIANT!!!!
    somethimes i dont even believe that its really is a motion graphic!
    nice post!

3. Pingback: BASDART

4. jfox September 23, 2009 at 11:38 AM

that is insane… trackingshot thruogh teh wire shelves around 10 seconds… the crappy aged concrete… how>??????

5. Chipotle September 23, 2009 at 4:35 PM

I saw the video and, as an architect, I found some clues that tells me is an actual 3D model, speacially the wood textures of some panels, but the reflection on the marble and the cristal that’s pretty surreal, almost real. It’s an amazing peace of art, truelly. By the way, that’s the Philip Exeter Academy’s Library by the amazing 20th century architect Louis Kahn, in New Hampshire.

6. Jason September 23, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Also worth noting is that Kahn is the subject of the film My Architect. Lots of great looks into Kahns other works in said film.

7. Anthony Baker September 24, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Lordy, this is amazing work. Thanks for posting, Bobby. Absolutely beautiful.

8. Cristina September 28, 2009 at 1:13 PM

AFUCKINGMAZING. i don’t even know what else to say.

9. Pingback: third and seventh. « lafree blogs