Environmentally Friendly CFL Packaging Concept

Student designer and current Art Center student Kevin Kwok has come up with an absolutely beautiful and brilliant idea for a rebranding of General Electric’s CFL light bulbs. I think he’s really thought of everything, like the packaging, which is made from post-consumer cardboard instead of plastic, the boxes themselves are easily stackable and make little CFLs. He even considered the fact that you could put your burnt out CFL in the box and send it back to GE to be recycled. Oh yeah, and the colors and design is absolutely spot on and wonderful. We definitely need more creative thinkers like Kevin.

Found through The Dieline

9 Comments Environmentally Friendly CFL Packaging Concept

1. PinballLes July 30, 2009 at 8:05 PM

I’m a bit dubious at how environmentally friendly these boxes would actually be. It looks like fairly complex packaging for a light bulb. This packaging would require re-tooling of machinery and involve additional processes to make the box. Aside from the environment, the additional processes would result in a box that is more expensive to produce, which would be passed onto the consumer in the price of the product.

Where I live light bulbs already come in cardboard boxes, a simple rectangular box. Surely it would be more environmentally friendly to have a box that is a simple shape to manufacture and simply use recycled cardboard?

On the positive side, I do think the actually graphic design of the box looks cool.

2. victor July 31, 2009 at 12:25 AM

i’m in love with these boxes!

3. Terry July 31, 2009 at 2:38 AM

surely if everyone started sending their lightbulbs back the increase on carbon emissions from that would outweigh the recycling benefits.

Kinda reminds me of this http://packagingworld.blogspot.com/2009/02/tofu-frugal-packaging.html sounds like a nice idea but making glass jars with complicated lids for such small servings of tofu doesn’t seem very “frugal”

4. Jeff July 31, 2009 at 1:43 PM

@PinballLes, These designs don’t look too complex to me. Much better than GE’s current environmentally nasty PVC plastic CFL packaging.

5. Londres July 31, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Does anyone know what PR means/is? Whatever.
    I recycle my toilet paper. Does that make me an environmentalist or a dirty SOB?

6. Jack August 2, 2009 at 4:54 AM

7. ceren August 4, 2009 at 12:32 PM

these look a lot like the lightbulb packaging in 80s turkey actually. i’d buy them just for the nostalgic colors and material but the clever box design really sells it for me.

8. wisam November 27, 2009 at 3:52 PM

plz,can u send to my e.mail this design of color box

9. Pingback: 10 Great Lightbulb Packaging Concepts. If They Can You Can Too! — Blog of Ronnestam