Wednesday Comics by DC Comics

I’ll be up front about this, I’m a total Marvel nerd. In the world of comic books, I tend to find DC comic books rather… unbelievable, which is a silly thing to say about comic books. But if you have Superman, who’s basically God, why aren’t all of the worlds problems fixed yet? Nonetheless, if the storytelling is good, I definitely want to read it.

So I was pretty excited to hear that DC was actually trying to do something different. Every Wednesday for the next 10 weeks (they’ve already released 2 issues) they’ll be releasing a tabloid-sized collection of comics, like a classic newspaper called Wednesday Comics. Each page is one part of the story, so in the end each story will be twelve gigantic pages long. This isn’t quite enough to sell me on it, but that’s where the creators come in. Honestly, I bought this because Paul Pope was doing an Adam Strange story, and he’s one of my biggest heroes in comics. But there’s also Mike Allred teaming up with Neil Gaiman to do Metamorph, Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso doing Batman, and even Kyle Baker doing a Hawkman story. The talent in each issue is amazing.

I also love the tactile sensation of the newsprint, it definitely gives it a lot of character, plus you could totally frame one of these pages as art and put it on your wall, something I’m tempted to do with the Paul Pope story.

Check under the cut for a ton of details from the most recent two issues.

8 Comments Wednesday Comics by DC Comics

1. felix July 16, 2009 at 6:37 PM

wow – where can i get them?

2. Paul Balcerak July 16, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I’ll second Felix—I want one!

3. Paul Balcerak July 16, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Back again—couldn’t resist blogging about this from a journalist’s standpoint (hope it’s OK I borrowed a photo—I linked back here twice).

I haven’t even been out to buy comics in forever, much less a newspaper. These are so cool they make me want to do both (probably helps that I’m a blue-blooded DC fan … sorry).

4. jayson ramos July 16, 2009 at 9:17 PM

OMG! my friend told me about his tue night at the Potter Premiere & it sounded like such a great idea. i’ve always been a Marvel backer myself & was impressed DC was trying such a neat new concept.

5. Maurice July 17, 2009 at 6:02 AM

I liked the idea of “Wednesday Comics”, too, but the price tag of $ 3.99 kept me from buying it. Next, I really don’t like any of my comics folded (even if this one tries to resemble a newspaper and it seems to be part of the concept).

Guess this will come out as an oversized hardcover eventually, so I will wait for that one…. :)

6. jean July 17, 2009 at 1:13 PM

they make great posters

7. Garrett July 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM

HEY! Marvel has it’s fair share of God-like heroes. Ass…

And it’s MetamorphO (may he turn his fist into iron and introduce it to your face).

8. shinchan August 30, 2010 at 10:23 PM