Ceci N’est Pas Une Mixtape | A Kitsune Noir Mixtape

It seems like so long since I’ve last posted a mix. But this is actually the first of many mixes to come in the next couple of months. To give you an idea, I have about 4 more mixes just waiting to be released, but they’ll be spaced out so as to not overwhelm anyone. Should be a fun summer!

So in honor of today being Bastille Day, I thought it was most fitting to release a little mix that was inspired by the idea of Paris called Ceci N’est Pas Une Mixtape. I thought the pun-y-ness of the title as rather cute, hopefully not too many of you aren’t groaning right now. This mix started out with Leaving for Paris No. 2 by Rufus Wainwright, a song that’s about leaving someone and not wanting them to find you.

From there it kind of fell together like a tragic love story. Boy meets girl, he has trouble trying to woo her, and in the end it doesn’t work out and he tries to get away from her by moving to Paris. While I don’t know if it really plays out like that, it’s at least the story that’s in my mind. A whirlwind romance that you’ll never forget.

Here’s the track listing:

01 Strizzalo by Devotchka
02 Les Champs Elysees by Joe Dassin
03 My Sentimental Melody by The Magnetic Fields
04 Cherbourg by Beirut
05 This is the Dream of Emma and Cam by Final Fantasy
06 September 5, October 21 2007 by Years
07 The Last Laugh of the Laughter by Travis
08 Universe by Sébastian Tellier
09 La Dispute by Yann Tiersen
10 Leaving for Paris No. 2 by Rufus Wainwright

22 Comments Ceci N’est Pas Une Mixtape | A Kitsune Noir Mixtape

1. Jesse July 14, 2009 at 7:01 PM

I love the texture on the pipe. Almost like carbon fibre.

2. Marre July 14, 2009 at 10:39 PM

René Magritte was actually Belgian, not French. So your Bastille tribute does not make any sense.

3. nerdski July 14, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Love the cover art. When I visit the LACMA I always make a quick stop and check out the painting in person.

4. BobbyBobby July 14, 2009 at 11:30 PM

@Marre – Oh, I’m glad you liked the mix instead of criticizing a point that doesn’t matter ; )

5. kelsey July 15, 2009 at 1:53 AM

@ Marre: the nationality of Magritte doesn’t matter. He’s still considered a French surrealist and did most of his work in Paris. Plus the language is French which is also the theme of the mixtape made in tribute of Bastille day, a French holiday. It makes sense to me :/

and in the ironic phrasing of Magritte, “tu n’est pas une vache.”

6. Chloé July 15, 2009 at 3:37 AM

As I’m leaving my flat in Paris to spend the summer in the south of France, I guess that will be a perfect “nostalgia-in-the-train” item in my Ipod…

Merci pour la mixtape!

7. Jeff July 15, 2009 at 6:38 AM

@Marre- Most of the music isn’t French either. So what? It’s about the mood, which is great (as always).

8. Ahmed July 15, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Nice selection :)

9. Katya July 15, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Bobby, thanks for your mixtapes. For me they are especially good while staying up late at night, doing some work and dreaming about better moments. I have a suggestion – why not turn them into podcasts do be downloadable straight through iTunes? That would be more convenient, I guess!

10. Magnus77 July 15, 2009 at 10:54 AM

I’m not a lawyer or have any connection with the Music industry… but are these mixtapes legal? I mean I love them and download everyone of them…and agree with KATYA…they should be a podcast on iTunes. But I have to ask… are these legal? I guess.. you aren’t selling them and you are giving credit to the artists… so… JUST A QUESTION.

11. Emilie July 15, 2009 at 2:22 PM

J’adore, j’adore!

12. Nidhi July 15, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I just downloaded this and listening to it so far is making me sooo nostalgic for paris :) thanks!

13. nicole July 15, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Been looking around for that Dassin song for years now. Used to sing it in French in the 8th grade. :) Merci!

14. Pingback: Photography and Me (for lack of a better title) « Pketh

15. Suzanne July 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Bobby, I love this one! I’ve listened to it over and over… Thank you!

16. Pingback: GEDDEM.com – Technology, Arts, Culture. » Parisian Melodies

17. Pingback: AD* Anonymously Drunk » Day dreaming away to Champs-Élysées

18. justin July 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Beautiful, sigh….

why bastille day? Maybe st. jean baptiste next time?

19. Hartung July 26, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Bobby, i’d just like to say, its mixtapes like these (among everything else awesome you post) that makes Kitsune Noir the best fucking site on the web.

20. Bre August 12, 2009 at 9:27 PM

You have the best mixtapes ever! I love your blog by the way. *Is a frequent visitor* Thank you for the great music and desktops/etc!

21. Hendra August 24, 2009 at 2:12 PM

really love this one! thanks bobby, your blog inspire me a lot!