CarGo Concept Vehicle

If you’ve read this blog long enough I have an absolute affinity for small cars. I firmly believe that big cars are just stupid, unless you’re a construction worker or some kind of logger. We were all raised in smaller cars, that had no airbags, and I’m sure many of you didn’t even wear seat belts when you were growing up, and yet here we all are.

Anywho, I love this concept vehicle by Adam Schacter called CarGo. It’s kind of like a Smart car and a pick-up truck mixed into one. The truck bed sort of area can sit in three different positions; there’s a vertical, a 45º angle, and a horizontal mode. So if you’re going to the grocery store you might choose vertical, but if you’re going to IKEA you’d probably use horizontal.

This flexibility also allows you to fit into smaller parking spaces, something that’s an absolute necessity here in Los Angeles. Plus it looks absolutely sci-fi, though I’d personally want one in black or a high gloss white. Dear Toyota, buy this concept and make it.

5 Comments CarGo Concept Vehicle

1. d July 2, 2009 at 12:34 PM

“We were all raised in smaller cars, that had no airbags, and I’m sure many of you didn’t even wear seat belts when you were growing up, and yet here we all are.”

That’s so fucking retarded. Unless I’ve missed the sarcasm, you’re a moron.

Awesome concept car, though.

2. BobbyBobby July 2, 2009 at 6:17 PM

@d – Wow, that’s a really great comment. How exactly does that make me a “fucking retard”, as you so elegantly put it? You failed to give any valid reason at all, I’m sure it was just a slight oversight…

3. E July 2, 2009 at 7:24 PM

I’ve been a long time reader but I must say that was a bit insensitive; “fucking retard” might be a bit much, ignorant might be more like it, but a ton of us have lost loved ones in car accidents.

4. BobbyBobby July 2, 2009 at 10:14 PM

@E – How is this insensitive or ignorant?! My issue is with the myth that bigger cars make people more safe. The fact of the matter is it only makes the people in that car more safe, not everyone around them.

What I’m saying is a huge amount of us grew up in a time when there was less car safety, and a huge majority of us came out just fine. My mother drove a Colt, a tiny brown car that was smaller than an old Kia. She didn’t need to lug me around in an Escalade to keep me safe.

You guys are reading waaayyyyy too much into these things…

5. Rudy July 4, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Hey Bobby,

I’ve been reading this blog for a very long time now and I really appreciate your contribution to the internet.

I’m presuming because of the increased (and deserved) traffic to the site, there seems to be comments such as these littering posts with no meaningful contribution or discussion of the post.

Hopefully this will go away.

Keep up with the interesting posts.

6. David July 9, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Not so sure I agree. When did you grow up? Unless I’m mistaken the cars from the 50s, 60s, 70s – and even 80s were much larger and contained much more steel and less plastic than the cars manufactured today.

Simple physics don’t support your claim that smaller cars are safer cars. In a head on collision with a *mid sized car* (like a Toyota Camry) a mini car or micro car (a tiny car, yet LARGER than the concept car shown above) suffers substantial, life threatening injuries to its passengers.

Here’s a video from a recent crash test conducted by the insurance institute for highway safety which illustrates the point. (Click “Video” on the right hand column to view the video).