Trailer for Hayao Miyazaki’s ‘Ponyo’

There have been a lot of great movies that have come out this year so far, I’ve been pleasantly surprised. But I think I may just be most excited to Ponyo on a Cliff, or just Ponyo here in the States. Ponyo is the most recent movie that has sprung from the creative mind of Hayao Miyazaki, one of my absolute favorite directors. Miyazaki is kind of like the modern day Walt Disney, creating amazing animated films that engage children and adults alike. My favorite film of his is Spirited Away, a tale of a girl who gets separated from her parents and gets stuck in a magical land where she has to work in a bath house for the gods. If you haven’t seen it yet I suggest you do so, quickly.

Ponyo is based off the Hans-Christian Andersen book, The Little Mermaid, though I’m not sure to what degree, as I really don’t want to know too much about the movie. What I do know is that the film, as eveidenced by the trailer above, looks stunning, and the voice actors they got to be a part of it are top notch as usual.

I’ve taken a ton of screen captures and put them under the cut, as so many of these frames are works of art in and of themselves.

8 Comments Trailer for Hayao Miyazaki’s ‘Ponyo’

1. 1234 June 24, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Really hoping they’ll release a subtitled version. As good as the voices are, there is no comparison to the Japanese voice actors.

2. 5678 June 24, 2009 at 11:10 PM

true true, subtitles and Miyazaki’s are the best. its like reading a story while watching your imagination unfolds (only much better than ur imagination)

3. erielalavelle June 25, 2009 at 4:01 AM

I’m so excited about this, but I’ve never not been excited about a new Ghibli film. Miyazaki’s style is amazing.. the colors in his concept artwork are something I always strived for in my own children’s drawings. Everything that comes out of Ghibli is inspiring.

4. Anders June 25, 2009 at 7:11 AM

My fave Miyazaki film is still Princess Mononoke.

It’s not as sugar-coated as Spirited away or Howl’s Moving Castle, which makes it seem somewhat more sincere and even more embedded in the director’s mystical imagination.

This one look amazing though!! Nice post.

5. C June 27, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Not being racist, but i think we can safely assume that the japanese have the craziest cartoons.

6. Sumi July 1, 2009 at 3:01 AM

I’ve managed to catch Ponyo quite sometime back as it is being released a few months ago in my country.
    This movie is actually made for children – really young children. I feel that the animation is also slightly different from previous Hayao movies.. without the detailing and quality. So I think the best way to catch this movie is not to expect it to be like any of the other Hayao M. movies.

7. Yves Laroque July 1, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Yes another classic indeed. I love all his movies. And by the way no disrespect but i saw an interview with Miyazaki and he hates being called a modern or Japanese Walt Disney

8. Pingback: SUNfiltered : Fresh culture daily. » Blog Archive » Hayao Miyazaki’s PONYO