Synesthesia by Terri Timely

Update: The previous video was deleted, but Ian uploaded a new one. Thanks Ian.

I get a lot of emails about work, sometimes rich and detailed descriptions, other times one liners… This is a story of the latter. It was from a guy named Ian, who made a new short film. As always I checked it out, thinking it might have been a school project or something. The film ends up being just short of brilliant, something I didn’t quite suspect.

As it turns out, Ian Kibbey made the film with his partner Corey Creasey, who are the duo behind Terri Timely. Together, Ian and Corey have directed music videos for music artists like St. Vincent (who’s new video for Actor Out of Work is brilliant), The Little Ones, Joanna Newsom and Midlake among others. To say these guys are talented would be an understatement.

So the video above is titled Synesthesia, which for those who haven’t heard of it is, “is a neurologically based phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.” For example you might smell a color, or hear a taste… it’s sensing something and processing it in an entirely different matter. So in the video above, we see a family go about their rather suburban lives, but experiencing things in a different way. The boy at the table is listening to his vegetables, the mother is chopping up words, possibly tasting what she’s reading, and the other son in the living room is smelling color from his music.

The idea is quite brilliant and is visualized as well as I think one could with such a complex topic. Sit back and enjoy this little visual treat. Also, for more about synesthesia, click here to read the Wikipedia page.

24 Comments Synesthesia by Terri Timely

1. Pingback: SYNESTHESIA by TERRI TIMELY « ? 21CB ?

2. oGhu June 21, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Amazing & Great.

3. Pingback: Collected Visuals » Synesthesia by Terri Timely

4. Pingback: Synesthesia by Terri Timeley

5. phil June 21, 2009 at 6:30 PM

the part where the cats come out

amazing stuff !!!
    thanks for sharing!!!

6. Enrico June 22, 2009 at 1:33 AM

A real mind-opener…

7. sam June 22, 2009 at 2:30 AM

this is not an original idea. i’ve seen this in a commercial in which a guy is sitting at his table eating and listening to a faulty discman or something, he pulls the jack out and sticks it into an apple or something thats near him, he then open the fridge and starts putting git into other items, the final scene before it cuts out is him going for his belly button…

8. christian June 22, 2009 at 5:54 AM

Sorry, but this is not just short of brilliant, it’s a bit further away. It’s basically a compilation of things I’ve seen before. Don’t get me wrong, there IS talent here to be sure and I AM looking forward to their next film, but a lot in ‘Synesthesia’ has just left me quite unimpressed.

9. Pingback: The Litmus | The Dapper Alchemist

10. BobbyBobby June 22, 2009 at 10:34 AM

@Sam and Christian – Since when is anything a completely original idea anymore?

Please feel free to create something just as creative, interesting and beautiful I’ll be happy to post it on the blog.

11. plastessina June 22, 2009 at 1:21 PM

about your twitter: you said “I have like 14 million fonts and about two dozen of them have apostrophes… WTF is that about?”, ahah you have no idea how a portuguese designer feels about it, there are even less fonts with ´`ç~^

12. Ben Rowe June 22, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I think its fantastic

13. ian June 22, 2009 at 11:00 PM

very well executed and fun to watch.

14. c-rock June 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM

to enrico. the commercial you speak of is a converse commercial that terri timely directed a while back. I think they are entitled to steal a little from themselves.

15. BobbyBobby June 24, 2009 at 2:18 AM

@C-Rock – I totally agree. They thought up the idea in the first place so they can re-use it as they want :)

16. tara June 24, 2009 at 7:02 AM

for years i have WISHED that i had synesthesia! can you imagine how fantastic it would be? what an excellent video

17. Jacky June 24, 2009 at 8:26 AM

this is fantastic!

18. Pingback: Synesthesia | Gugazine

19. christian June 28, 2009 at 5:37 PM

@Bobby
    I’d love to, but I’m afraid I’m quite bereft of talent. Also, would you mind if I hit you up with email about the crazy town where you go about spending all your days?

20. Pingback: bzzz poufff « baskerville

21. tvoff July 1, 2009 at 1:28 AM

Love the cats, brilliant stuff!

22. Brian November 20, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Wow. I’m going to try to find some more of their shorts right away – truly awesome!

23. Oisín Keely November 24, 2009 at 5:42 AM

This is pure genius. I’m well impressed

24. Sam May 23, 2010 at 3:19 AM

@Tara

I actually do have synesthesia; I hear things as well as see them, even when they’re silent. Birds out in the yard from behind a window make staccato sounds when they move, red things hum, spiky things buzz (like sea urchins–they just sit there and buzz until I look away) Everything I see makes noise of some sort, and moving or changing things make very noticeable noise. It bypasses my ears, but I can hear it all the same, which can get kind of odd if I think about it too much.
    It’s actually very banal when you have lived with it every day of your life. I didn’t even know that not everyone had it until I was in high school! That was an odd conversation; I mentioned the noise a bird had made in the headlights of our car and how loud it was to my dad and he couldn’t figure out what I was talking about.
    I hope I satisfied a little curiosity :)