‘Smoke Without Fire’ by Bright Eyes and M. Ward

Smoke Without Fire by Bright Eyes & M. Ward

I woke up this morning with this song playing in my head, so I thought I’d post it up for everyone. The song is called Smoke Without Fire, which was on Bright Eyes’ Four Winds EP that came out in 2007. It features Conor and M. Ward, whom I’m obsessed with, playing together on a really mellow track. The pair go back and forth, singing in light melodies that are totally soothing. In my opinion, this is a hidden gem that I’m not sure a lot of people have heard.

6 Comments ‘Smoke Without Fire’ by Bright Eyes and M. Ward

1. rawbean May 2, 2009 at 12:10 PM

The song sounds very sweet so far. Why do you think music has gone in this direction? Do you think it’s a reflection of our times?

2. nerdski May 2, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Good stuff. I was curious how you get this player on this blog. Is it a simple WP Plugin?

3. R.J. May 3, 2009 at 12:17 AM

I really like this. Most of Mr. Oberst’s new material is not my cuppa, but I can make this exception.

It reminds me of the song that Feist and Ben Gibbard did for the Dark Was the Night comp.

Your next mixtape should be all duets.

4. Christopher Cox May 4, 2009 at 11:59 AM

In case you haven’t checked it out yet either, M. Ward’s newest album is really really good. One of my favorites so far actually.

5. Yetie May 4, 2009 at 9:35 PM

I was singing this at work the other day such a good song. Thanks for posting.

6. Derrick Yazwa May 13, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I hadn’t heard this track myself and am a big fan of Ward’s work. Thanks for posting this one!