‘Moon’ with Sam Rockwell

I’m pretty stoked for this new movie by Duncan Jones called Moon. It stars Sam Rockwell as an astronaut who’s been living on the moon all alone for nearly three years, working to mine a precious resource that has helped diminish the planet’s power problems. But then some crazy junk happens and the main character finds another person working on the moon with him, who looks exactly like him. He’s also aided by a creepy computer that has emoticon faces and is voiced by Kevin Spacey, so you know there’s gonna be some HAL kinda shit going down.

I’m such a dork for sci-fi, and this looks frigging awesome. I read that the sets were actually built, and they tried to not CGI everything, so that’s good to know as well. This year in movies just keeps getting better and better.

11 Comments ‘Moon’ with Sam Rockwell

1. Tony April 15, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Sam Rockwell is the man! Im super excited for this movie. Reminds me of Castaway combined with 2001.

2. ryan April 15, 2009 at 2:55 PM

This looks awesome and also reminds me that I still haven’t watched Christmas on Mars by the Flaming Lips! Time to remedy that soon!

3. Nilas April 15, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Awesome. Funny how the robots voice is just like the one from the depressive robot in “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” and the guy from this film is the “king” in “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” aswell.

4. StefanG April 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM

This looks to be exactly what Sunshine wasn’t! Can’t wait!

Ryan > lol! I’ve always found Wayne Coyne and Sam Rockwell to be lookalikes!

5. Zebra April 17, 2009 at 4:34 AM

I can’t believe how fitting their names are: I mean ‘Spacey’ plays a robot in space, and ‘Rockwell’ is mining some rocks? That’s some typecasting I tell you.

6. Alex April 17, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Great effort. Duncan Jones got creativity on his veins, he’s the son of David Bowie and Angela Bowie. Nice blog.

7. IAN FRANCE April 18, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Definitely looks awesome. In the beginning it just looked like a rip-off of 2001 but the guy having a double gives it a twist. I really want to see it!

8. Zeek April 20, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Deckard was a replicant.

9. Pingback: The Litmus | The Dapper Alchemist

10. Rob April 30, 2009 at 3:18 PM

They’ve been having a lot of lunar-landing documentaries on the tele recently and in one of them an astronaut, can’t remember his name, describes a situation where he came in contact with himself. Basically, he was driving a lunar car around and saw himself at an earlier instance in the same area. He left it at that, didn’t go into details.

I’m assuming that’s where the story line comes from, although, this seems to have the Hollywood edge to it. The lunar documentaries have been incredible, just (unedited) communication and video… beautiful old raw images with sparse reflections of color.