One of my Twitter friends posted this awesome little 16step sequencer created by André Michelle called ToneMatrix, and I have to admit it’s an addicting little toy! I basically made some Postal Service type beats with absolutely no trouble at all, the only trouble is that I can’t record the beats I make. Kitsune Noir will be coming to your dance floor really soon! Play around with it and let me know what you think.

13 Comments ToneMatrix

1. ben April 13, 2009 at 1:05 AM

My friend also made a really addicting, interactive beat making toy thing at And you can save your own there and share them! Very fun.

That and all the rest of the “toys” that they create on their site are so addictive.

2. BobbyBobby April 13, 2009 at 1:27 AM

@Ben – Yeah, I’ve played around with his site before, there’s some really rad stuff on there. I wish I could change the pitch of the beat monsters, like if they’re close to you they’re deeper, and farther away they’re higher pitched. Beat Monsters 2.0!

3. Chester April 13, 2009 at 4:33 AM

Wow, that was really fun and addictive!

4. Pingback: The Litmus | The Dapper Alchemist

5. ZEE April 13, 2009 at 11:45 AM

You guys need to check out the Yamaha Tenori-On. This is basically just a flash implementation of a real world device!

Tenori-On on youtube:

6. Will April 13, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I saw Fourtet play in Sydney and he was using something like this to create some weird flipped out live beats (and visual patterns) – very cool !

7. JohnnyBoy April 13, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Nice! This is an awesome way to make beats.
    Anyone interested in how this works should check out how open interface
    instruments work! :D

8. james April 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM

this is so addictive i sat at my work desk for like 30 minutes making stuff. while my coworkers listened…

they said i made good music by the way…

9. Magnus April 15, 2009 at 1:07 AM

You can’t save the beats, but you can print the screen and share the patterns for others to play the same tune.

Great site by the way.

10. Evan Payne April 15, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Hey Bobby,
    If you want to record it, check out AudioHijackPro.

Rogue Amoeba has some pretty awesome apps for doing things your computer doesn’t want you to do easily.

And you can use it to record audio coming out of just Firefox itself.

Thanks for the cool instrument.

11. Pingback: Tonematrix - DIY soundscape | you might like this

12. sergiogois May 8, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Yeah Tone matrix is incredible! If you like tone matrix you will also love the new application for the iphone Melodica: