Boxed Water Is Better

Having an old standard, say, a water bottle, and somehow turning into something new by using an even older standard, say, a milk carton, and you just might get Boxed Water Is Better. The idea is that a carton can be made from renewable resources, can be shipped flat to reduce it’s carbon footprint and can be recycled pretty much anywhere. Now they just need smaller quart sizes to take running with you.

Found through The Dieline

16 Comments Boxed Water Is Better

1. Ade March 17, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Surely by encouraging people to buy more smaller bottles, you’re really ramping up the impact of the packaging, no matter how much more environmentally friendly it is.

Why not just buy a nicely designed water bottle and decant your H2O into it for each run?

2. BobbyBobby March 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM

They’re saying that these would be better than plastic jugs, which I’m assuming is true.

3. Jon March 17, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I wish people would stop being so ridiculous and start drinking tap water.

4. Frederic March 17, 2009 at 10:14 AM

As a designer I recon that it’s a nice piece of work, but isn’t the simple idea of packing water so wrong? Tap water is better.

5. BobbyBobby March 17, 2009 at 10:20 AM

I agree with you all, I’m a tap water drinker. But there are people out there who refuse, and that’s where I think this product comes in to play.

6. msikma March 17, 2009 at 11:48 AM

If I’m not mistaken about this, carton still takes quite a lot more energy to create than plastic. I’m not sure if biodegradability makes up for that.

Or, like others have said, you could just embrace the fact you–probably–live in a rich country where perfectly clean and thoroughly checked water comes out of the tap. :)

7. Jeff March 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Haha… kind of like a hybrid SUV that only gets 20 mpg. They get to say they’re better for the Earth without really being that much better.

But yes, baby steps are better than no steps at all.

8. Ron March 17, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I just took a walk around downtown Grand Rapids (MI) and I went into this little shop called the Grand Central Market. They had this water! I was so surprised to see it; I had read this blog maybe an hour beforehand.

I don’t entirely agree with buying bottle or boxed water, though I’m sure this carton is much healthier for the planet than all the plastic bottles. The shipping process still creates much more environmental degradation than does getting water from your sink at home.

9. miss lissie March 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM

msikma, i live in (northern-ish) canada & the water coming from the tap smells awful, and looks white when you pour it into a glass. it eventually settles, but i don’t trust it. plus it tastes like it’s been fermenting for a long time. so although i live in a relatively rich country, it’s filtered water for me. which is sad times.

then again, i prefer the brita filter water which is less wasteful than bottled water. although these cartons look pretty fantastic.

10. Andrew March 17, 2009 at 11:58 PM

The typography on the packaging is top notch. I don’t have the knowledge to comment on the environmental part though.

11. Steve March 18, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Not everyone has access to tap water.
    If you’re travelling, and you run out of H2O and find yourself dehydrating, not everyone can be expected to drink from a public tap. You just don’t always know what’s touched said tap, or where whatever touched it has been.

Carton makes sense to me.

12. Ingvild March 19, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Cool in theory. However; I heard a story from someone trying to do just this; selling boxed water. It didn’t work out. Know why? Cause it’s a human need to see the water you’re about to drink. I know, not logical. But highly psychological. Water = purity, if not.. In other words: we need perfectly see-through water. It makes us feel safe.

13. duck March 20, 2009 at 3:22 AM

I suppose boxed water is better than no water.

14. kiki March 22, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Is that Tetrapak? Hope not

15. Zak April 14, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Pretty packages.
    Guaranteed consumer flop.

16. momsagainstplasticbottles July 6, 2009 at 12:41 AM

Boxed water needs to replace plastic bottles entirely.
    My favorite is icebox water. Arctic Spring Water from Norway. Great Idea!