Apple Releases New iPod Shuffle

This morning Apple released a redesigned version of their brightly colored, bite sized iPod Shuffles, though this time around they’ve gone even more minimal. First off they’ve ripped out the controller on the face of the player, placing them onto the earbud cords, similar to the iPhone controller. One of the biggest new advancements is called Voice Over, which tells you the artist and track name of the song or podcasts you’re listening to.

I think these look great, and yet again Apple has made some great even greater. I just hope they bring back all those fun colors, something I’m sure people really love.

11 Comments Apple Releases New iPod Shuffle

1. Renaud March 11, 2009 at 9:26 AM

So either we have all our songs “voiced over” or none ? Strange… and not that great isn’t ?

2. buddy b March 11, 2009 at 10:28 AM

the headphones that come with ipods never last and rarely offer the best sound but now if the controller is on the headphones people are gonna be forced to stick to the ipod head phones and will have to keep buying them everytime they break. kinda weak.

3. Ariel March 11, 2009 at 10:32 AM

You choose to have your song announced by holding down the center button on the remote.

It doesn’t just randomly tell you what’s playing.

4. Thomas March 11, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I hate the fact that you have to control it with a remote attached to the headphones, which means I can’t use my own :(
    It’s design is ace though!

5. Rob March 11, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I hope they come out with a remote you can plug other earbuds into!

Also, do you have an iPhone theme going on? Looks v good!!

6. Siong March 11, 2009 at 11:09 AM

The Shuffle is really built for athletes, hence the new headphone controls – it is an excellent way to control the device without needing to take it out/look at it at all. You can still buy the old Shuffle online though, if you prefer that.

7. TallFace March 11, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Non-Apple headphones will require a special dongle that includes the new three-button controller. Apple says it’s also working with third parties to bring other compatible headphones to market.

Awwwww, thanks Apple. You shouldn’t have ;D

8. Andrew March 11, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I’m not a fan of the voice-overs either (interesting solution to a non-screened player), but the remote on the earphones was an even less novel solution. They should have made a short cord adapter (maybe 2 or 3 inches) that has the remote on it, but allows you to plug in which ever headset/earphones you like.

Last thing I want to do is buy ANOTHER pair of earphones… I’ve got a drawer full of that crap. Apple and their 3rd party connections are pissing me off with stupid add-ons that I don’t need. Nickle and Dime us to death.

9. Drew March 12, 2009 at 10:50 PM

I love that the svelteness of the nano is compromised by the size of the headphone jack. Of course this is the jack’s fault but without the headphones the nano is kind of useless.

Putting headphone jacks to the side, thanks for continuing to offer inspirational items on your blog Bobby!

10. Drew March 13, 2009 at 1:21 AM

errr…. replace all those “nano”s with shuffle.

11. anne March 14, 2009 at 11:50 PM