‘Black Forest (Tra La La)’ by Pale Young Gentlemen

Kettle Drum (I Left a Note) by Pale Young Gentlemen

Marvelous Design by Pale Young Gentlemen

Our History by Pale Young Gentlemen

I know a lot of you like when I suggest music, so I thought I’d do a little write up about Pale Young Gentlemen’s new album, Black Forest (Tra La La). PYG started out as a three person band in Madison, Wisconsin, consisting of Michael and Matt Reisenauer and Brett Randall, but then added Andrew Brawner and Elizabeth Weamer to the mix, filling out the band to it’s current state.

Their newest album Black Forest (Tra La La) just came out in October, and I’m sad that I didn’t hear it when it first came out. The first time listening through, they sound like Andrew Bird. The comparison is easy to make, but after listening to this for the last week straight, they’re much different. PYG has a darker, more romantic sound to them, it kind of reminds me of Fleet Foxes in a way. Honestly my favorite part is Ms. Weamer’s cello parts, which give everyone such a rich and deep sound.

If you like Andrew Bird, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, Grizzly Bear, or any of those kinds of bands, this is definitely for you.

6 Comments ‘Black Forest (Tra La La)’ by Pale Young Gentlemen

1. Bob November 19, 2008 at 6:10 PM

I like these guys! Thanks Bobby.

2. Taylor November 19, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Wisconsin! They were on public television here a few months ago.

3. Danny November 20, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Haha a bit of coincidence. I was looking for a “gentleman” costume and stumbled upon these guys 2 days ago.

4. Jake November 20, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I think Pale Young Gentleman is a pretty cool guy, eh? Plays good music and doesn’t afraid of anything.

5. Jesse November 21, 2008 at 9:36 AM

“The first time listening through, they sound like Andrew Bird. The comparison is easy to make, but after listening to this for the last week straight, they’re much different.”

That’s the great thing about PYG. Not easy to define the sound, so in three years time people will be reviewing other bands saying “They sound like Pale Young Gentlemen.” Love these guys.

6. theorist November 29, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Finally had a chance to listen, then immediately headed over to emusic and downloaded. Thanks!