Elliott Smith Would Have Been 39

Earlier tonight I went and had dinner at this place down the street from me called Malo, it’s a yummy Mexican place with fancy margaritas. Anyhow, it also happens to be next door to where the cover of Elliott Smiths’ Figure 8 was taken, which is somewhat of a landmark around here. But I noticed that there were candles all along the wall, and people sitting out in front playing guitar. It struck me that today was the anniversary of Elliott Smith’s passing, a rather sad day for a lot of people.

It’s been 5 years already, and he would have been 39. It still saddens me that such an amazing person was so sad that they could take their own life. I’ve put a few of my favorite songs below, as sort of remembrance to such an amazing musician who’s touched so many lives. I hope you enjoy them.

Baby Britain by Elliott Smith

Pretty Mary K (Other Version) by Elliott Smith

Rose Parade by Elliott Smith

9 Comments Elliott Smith Would Have Been 39

1. Pingback: Rabbit Valley Road / Elliott Smith would be 39 today

2. mat October 22, 2008 at 10:03 AM

A tragic anniversary, Elliot was amazing. Thanks for posting the pictures.

3. Eli October 22, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Elliott Smith was an unparalleled songcrafter and lyricist. His death was such a shocking, horrifying event. I’ll listen to some Elliott today. Thanks for the reminder.

4. Kate October 22, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Oh I had no idea it was the anniversary. Tear.

5. Tim Chilcott October 23, 2008 at 12:33 PM

man i know you can’t replace an elliot smith but have you guys listened to sean lennon? he seems to have picked up where elliot smith left off and its amazing.

6. Drama October 30, 2008 at 3:29 AM

What’s the adress?
    I’d LOVE to have a photograph of me in front of it.

7. michael chen November 18, 2008 at 4:10 AM

thanks.

8. ShaunZi May 9, 2010 at 6:25 AM

hehe…i google elliott smith and found your blog for the first time.i love his music,but sadly,i heard of his song in 2006,after he passed away