Black Fox Spotted in London!

I’m sure there are some of you out there who read this blog who still have no idea what Kitsune Noir means. Kitsune is the Japanese word for fox, and Noir is the french word for black, so if you put them the other way around you get Black Fox. Up until now though, I didn’t realize there were such things as black foxes, that was until my buddy Max sent me this article from The Telegraph titled, “‘Unlucky’ rare black fox spotted in Britain.”

Supposedly in the medieval times (read: stupid times) people thought that the black fox was a bad omen, which is ridiculous, look how cute that little guy is! They’re also rather rare in England, which is what the article is mainly about, as they were hunted near extinction for their pelts. Scary enough, the photo above was taken in a graveyard (aka eating the flesh of dead bodies, duh) but that the man was able to get rather close to it, so it doesn’t eat living people… yet.

Personally I’m quite proud to have the black fox as my mascot! Viva la Kitsune Noir!

10 Comments Black Fox Spotted in London!

1. Vesper de Vil September 21, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Have you seen the fennec fox? They are incredible!

2. BobbyBobby September 21, 2008 at 11:02 PM

I’ve met one! I used to work for a photographer and we had one in the studio, they’re totally adorable. I also just watched the Planet Earth: Desert as well which has a bunch of them running around.

I totally want one as a pet!

3. b September 23, 2008 at 2:19 AM

i always thought noir was just another word for detectives. But now i realize that i was thinking about detective noir which just means night detective. hahah
    Well thankyou for the post before this topic came up in a real life discussion. I would have made myself look like an idiot

4. tipere September 23, 2008 at 5:20 AM

It is funny that I was thinking of a tattoo design of a man walking the snow with a kitsune pelt over him. I always thought a kitsune was half man half fox warrior. Much like the wai notes cover from bonny prince billy. This man does amazing illustrations on skin.

5. Tony Danza September 23, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Hey I was just watching that Planet Earth too. Great film making. Apparently the black fox has a tendency to love grape soda.

6. brandt September 25, 2008 at 7:48 AM

lol @ Tony Danza. It would have to be an ace at digging if it was feeding off the dead. probably just hanging out in the least populated spot it could find.

7. Major Alfonso September 26, 2008 at 8:50 AM

Melanism is the condition that causes this is in some species, foxes included. It’s the opposite of albinism and way cooler. It’s why there are such things as black panthers. My favourite is the melanistic squirrel

8. Jana TheJunction September 30, 2008 at 9:53 AM

The fox is cute but it is quite creepy as well, so I can definitely understand the easily scared people back in the old days. It is amazing which animals live in the big cities. Apparently we have many foxes here in Berlin too. I have never met one though.

9. alexis February 10, 2009 at 11:32 AM

i too spotted a black fox in toryglen, glasgow scotland, it was last week, my family did not believe me, so i researched it and low and behold i found several in britain,so maby we have a black fox boom here!

10. Cate May 6, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Hi Alexis,

I’ve just found out about the Black Fox and am trying to find out more on both fact and folklore of this animal.
    I live in the Central Belt of Scotland and am interested in any sightings anywhere in Scotland. Have you seen the fox again?
    Most of the sightings (and the folklore) seem to come from south of the border yet there is a Gaelic superstition connected to the Black Fox so the Scottish stories are still to be told.