Radiohead at The Hollywood Bowl 2008

Last night I had the pleasure of seeing my favorite band in the world, Radiohead, perform at The Hollywood Bowl, one of the best concert venues I’ve ever experienced. This was my third time seeing Radiohead, the first being post Kid A, and the second being post-Hail to the Thief, the first time being one of my favorite concerts ever, the second being a pretty big disappointment, mostly because Hail to the Thief is crap. But last night could easily be described as one of the single best, if not THE best concert that I’ve ever seen.

The playlist was awesome, hitting songs from every album, and to my enjoyment, they finally didn’t play Creep, thank the gods. Of everything played the most surprising song was definitely Street Spirit, which I totally enjoyed, and was glad they played that instead of The Bends. The most improved song they played was The Gloaming, which is the second video above. I LOATHE The Gloaming, it’s probably my least favorite song ever, but they made it a little dancier, almost a remix of it’s original self, and it was pretty damn rad.

The absolute BEST part of the show though (and possibly the show-stealer), was the lighting. The top video up there is a performance of The National Anthem which should give you a taste of how extremely overwhelming and beautiful the effects were. The Gloaming was also really beautiful and helped to enhance the mood as well. The colors being shot out by those bars was absolutely incredible, I haven’t ever seen anything like this done to this level, it’s a pretty damn hard act to follow.

Hopefully some of you will be seeing Radiohead in the near-future, or possibly already have? I really hope they release a DVD of a live-performance, I’d snatch it up in a heartbeat.

32 Comments Radiohead at The Hollywood Bowl 2008

1. Aphex August 25, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Saw them two month ago in Milan and they were unbelievable. Only disappointment was the volume of the sound, it should have been LOUDER!

2. Jeff August 25, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Saw the show at Lollapalooza. Good stuff!

Their production manager wrote about the awesome low-power LED lighting here…

3. Caroline August 25, 2008 at 1:12 PM

oh my god! i was there too! you look very familiar. i think i saw you.

4. Sara August 25, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Radiohead is my all time favourite too. I travelled from Sweden to Milan to see them two months ago and I was also disappointed with the music volume. All I could hear was thousands of italian guys chatting away and drinking beer (and trying to sing along to whatever Johnny Greenwood was playing at the moment). Too bad.

5. Maxime August 25, 2008 at 2:10 PM

hmm..
    hail to the thief.
    NOT crap

6. Logan Lizzi August 25, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Those are two great vids man. Not a fan of Hail To The Thief? That’s too bad. Myxomatosis is an amazing song off that album, not to mention 2+2=5 as well.
    I saw them in Vancouver on the 19th and it was easily the best night of my whole life. The amazing performance mixed with the rain storm the entire show just made for an awesome combo.
    If you want to see some pictures, go to my blogspot:

I was right up against the bar the whole thing, so they’re pretty decent, besides the fact they were shot with a crummy point-and-shoot.

7. BobbyBobby August 25, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Hail to the Thief, compared to everything past Pablo Honey, is by far their least impressive album.

I think there are definitely note-worthy songs like Wolf at the Door and Myxamatosis, but overall the album felt weak to me, especially towards the middle.

Just one man’s opinion!

8. lc August 25, 2008 at 4:19 PM

hail to the thief was rockin’ – you all suck.

9. BobbyBobby August 25, 2008 at 4:27 PM

LC: How many songs did you like off of Hail to the Thief? Please say all of them, that would be awesome and make you not suck.

10. Logan Lizzi August 25, 2008 at 4:52 PM

I guess when you put it that way it’s true. It definitely is the weakest of their albums. But I don’t think it sucks at all.
    There are for sure some “dull” songs on there like Punchup At A Wedding. But songs like There There make for it, I think.

11. Garrett August 25, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Hail to the Thief can lick my post-workout balls.

12. Brice August 25, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Hey you launched the great debat about Radiohead … Is HTTT their weakest album so far, or is it just crap like you say so. I’d go for the first option as exceptetions for Radiohead are so high !

BTW I’ve seen them in London, awesome show !! the lights, the setlist … everything was perfect …

13. lizzie August 25, 2008 at 9:06 PM

i saw them almost two months ago in barcelona, spain.
    have to say…always respected, never a fan, but at the end this show stand with the top 3 of my life…being fugazi @ henry theater; jane’s addiction @ hollywood bowl; radiohead @ wherever, barcelona

if you have a chance to see them, go!

14. Rachel August 25, 2008 at 9:22 PM

oh man I just saw them at outside lands music festival in San Francisco a few days ago and I have to say that my favorite song that they played was Talk Show host. I’ve been trying to put videos up on youtube but it’s seriously taking forever.

15. Thomas August 26, 2008 at 2:22 AM

I remember myself being a total ass for the people around me when they played at Werchter, Belgium 2 months ago :(

16. matt August 26, 2008 at 6:02 AM

“mostly because Hail to the Thief is crap”…wow, bold statement!! I must disagree. I recently saw them at the All Points West Festival in NJ… seriously the best show ever!! Complimenting the sentiment that it can’t get any better than that, I overheard one young concert goer after the show proclaim, “Well, I might as will just cut my d**k off”.

17. Patty August 26, 2008 at 11:00 AM

I was there last night too. I can’t believe they didn’t play paranoid android or climbing up the walls like they allegedly played the 1st night.
    either way, after seeing Radiohead,
    I can now die happy.

18. james August 26, 2008 at 11:51 AM

so so lucky… that must have been awesome hearing them play street spirit my all time favorite song..

they never come this way to arizona… and i never get the chance to go to cali to see them….

hail to the thief crap?????
    and i thought you were cool!!!!

19. BobbyBobby August 26, 2008 at 12:00 PM

But seriously, would anyone honestly say that Hail to the Thief is their favorite album?! LIKE REALLY?!?!

20. mark h August 26, 2008 at 1:34 PM

i am still blown away by their LED rig. i realllllly want one in my house! or at least i want to re-create that matrix-like LED exhibit from the ‘altered states’ show at the moca.

how was bon iver?

p.s. hail to the thief still sucks.

21. Maxime August 26, 2008 at 4:55 PM

I wasn’t saying that Hail to the thief was the best album. I was just saying that it wasn’t crap at all.

22. Maxime August 26, 2008 at 5:01 PM

I forgot..
    I just don’t know what’s wrong with this album really. I must be such a STUPID Radiohead fan to like it a lot.

23. Rob McDougall August 27, 2008 at 5:02 AM

I’ve always really liked the way they take their songs and change / expand on them in the live sets.

Saw them do a similar version of the gloaming at the BBC in a teeny weeny gig earlier this year! :)

24. Rob McDougall August 27, 2008 at 5:04 AM

sounds like there were a lot of brits in the audience as well?

You and Whose Army? is one of my fave songs by them! :)

25. kittdii August 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM

i am so so jealous! i missed the show this years because none of my losers wanted to go. their excuse “we don’t like the festival thing.” Radiohead is my one and only favorite….i should’ve just go on my own. =(

26. Lukas August 29, 2008 at 2:35 PM

whoa bobby, that’s a pretty brazen statement. I was very unimpressed with “Hail” when I first heard it, but now I think it’s one of their stronger albums. I think their worst album since OK computer would be amnesiac. Great songs aside, it’s a weak album.

Seriously, go back and listen to “Hail” again, turn off the internet/tv/radio/whatever else can distract you from the genius of that album, and you’ll be enlightened.

27. julian August 29, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Sunday show in LA was amazing, definitely one of the best gigs I’ve seen at the Hollywood bowl and that is saying something cause there have been many magical experiences there over the years. Much better show than the Greek gig a couple years ago, which was good.

28. greg September 1, 2008 at 5:57 AM

hail to the thief was recorded in 3 weeks. pretty awesome album when you take that into consideration.

saw them in paris a few months back. one of the best days of my life. (not only because of the show, but it definitely helped)

29. gomez. September 1, 2008 at 8:20 AM

if u didnt like hail to the thief is cause u didnt get it.
    its radiohead’s most socially compromised album.

read george orwell.

30. BobbyBobby September 1, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Hahaha… nonetheless, does ANYONE think this album is their favorite Radiohead album? I bet like, 5 people would say that.

And trust me, I’ve read 1984, my iTunes says I’ve listened to the album 36 times, so I’m pretty sure I have a fair grasp on what I’ve heard.

31. A Radiohead fan. October 8, 2008 at 1:44 PM

I was at both Hollywood Bowl shows and that clip of The Gloaming is NOT from 8/25/2008. Thom was wearing his signature red pants that night.

And Hail to the Thief is a masterpiece.

32. BobbyBobby October 8, 2008 at 1:59 PM

No, it’s not, it was just an example of their performance.