Imagining the Tenth Dimension

Up until a few days ago I had no idea that there are (theoretically) ten dimensions to our universe. We’re all pretty familiar with 2D and 3D, but anything beyond that is pretty crazy. But the video above goes into depth about all these dimensions and how they all exist, and as intense that sounds, the narrator explains it in a pretty straightforward manner.

I wasn’t actually going to post this, but I was talking to a friend last night about a drug related experience he had, and it totally sounded like he was seeing/feeling things in the 4th dimension. It also reminds me of Donnie Darko and the clear jello slug that leaves his chest. I think the video is pretty interesting, so if you’re into theoretical science-y kind of things check it out. You can also get a ton more information by clicking here.

17 Comments Imagining the Tenth Dimension

1. phil August 13, 2008 at 3:32 AM

Thanks Bobby. I’ll be sure to have a look at this and might have to post it up as well.

2. karlaanne August 13, 2008 at 5:58 AM

well, it had me until about 6:20. now my brain hurts… lol

3. matt August 13, 2008 at 7:49 AM

According to M Theory there are 11 dimensions:

But trying to imagine anything higher than 5 dimensions starts making my brain boil.

4. Asvetic August 13, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Fascinating and surprisingly easy to follow… perhaps too easy.

Taking a cue from this, I’m sure the explanation for 10 dimensions could have several (almost infinite) possible approaches. I’d like to visit the 6th dimension where I instantaneously understand what I just watched.

Again… fascinating.

5. violette August 13, 2008 at 8:57 AM

wow! that’s amazing. watching the video it kinda sounds easy and simple at first but then you notice you’re stucked between dimensions! :P

thanx for posting this! it’s pretty interesting. reminded me of the Stephen Hawking documentary.

6. Johanna August 13, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Yes, my head exploded. awesome.

7. Brad August 13, 2008 at 11:05 AM

You should see the equations that describe the dimensions. Now that is some beautiful art.

8. Rob McDougall August 13, 2008 at 2:06 PM

wow. that was really well done. I got it! Hurray! :)

9. lucky August 13, 2008 at 8:26 PM

so i have been thinking about this all day…i watched the clip sometime this morning…and i have a solid grasp on dimensions 1-5 and 10…but 6-9 are still elusive to me…will have to watch video again…i strongly believe that after three straight viewings i will understand them all, at least that is what i’m hoping…

10. chris r August 13, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Excellent post! Thanks, Bobby.

11. Chris Halsted August 14, 2008 at 2:30 AM

Amazing. As you Bobby, I had no idea that there are (theoretically) 10 dimensions! This post is really cool…

Cheerio

12. Pingback: Imagining the 10th Dimension | OrignauxMoose

13. Jake H. August 14, 2008 at 2:43 PM

so, i was having a conversation with my friend about this video, and i had an epiphany. am i possibly right? here’s the transcript:

-i get it
    -but i think i understand what the eleventh dimension would be
    -what would it be?
    -well he says that the tenth dimension would be condensing all the possible timelines for all possible infinities into a single point
    -and he says to go up into the next dimension, you would have to have another point to connect to that point – but he can’t imagine anything that would not be contained within the first point, since it contains all possible infinities
    -but wouldn’t the second point be the point that contains all impossible infinities? i mean, he seems to think that “possible” is the only possibility, but it seems logical to me that for everything that is possible there must be something which is impossible – and that would be contained within its own infinity
    -and beyond that, there can be further points that contain infinities that are neither possible nor impossible, but somewhere in between or completely separate
    -it does seem to be the only plausible explanation
    -so i guess the eleventh dimension is the line between all possible infinities and all impossible
    and the twelfth would be the plane which holds all variations of possibility
    -that is, not all the variations of what is possible, but all the variations of what “possible” is
    -and then i guess the thirteenth dimension would be if you took that twelfth dimensional plane and then folded it back into itself… and perhaps there would be infinities which are not based on possibility, but on some other concept which i can’t comprehend?

14. Pingback: Your Daily Brain Fuck

15. ben August 14, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Amazing. This sort of thing makes my mind go numb.
    Thanks for the great post.

16. JohntheButcher February 19, 2009 at 4:53 AM

This is freaking awesome, i sometyms haf the same thoughts bout dimensions but thats only when im high and drunk lol

17. Pingback: My Homepage