Why America Is Fucked… Graphically, At Least

People who are excited about design always gets me excited, but when they start releasing passionate, foul-mouthed, rants about the current state of half-ass design out there, well now you really have something! Aaron Draplin of Draplin Design Co. along with the folks over at Coudal are creating a three part documentary called Draplin Project, which obviously stars Aaron and I guess it’s going to be his thoughts on the world.

But what they’ve decided to do is give everyone a sneak peak of the film, with Mr. Draplin going on an amazing tirade of how design in America can seriously blow, and how we need to take back design and make it something amazing again. The clip is titled, Why America Is Fucked, and is really amazing, like I couldn’t agree with him more. It’s also filled with a lot of “fucks”, so if you’re sensitive you probably shouldn’t watch the video. As a sidenote, Aaron wrote a note to his parents with the video post, which I’d like to share with you all as well:

DEAR MOM AND DAD: I know you raised me well, and taught me how to speak and behave like an appropriate adult and all that, but, Jess asked the question and I got all fired up and then started swearing like a sailor. These things happen. Don’t excommunicate me.

Click here to watch the video directly
, but definitely visit his Aaron’s site as well if you’ve never been. I can’t WAIT to see what else he has to say!

Found through Chris Glass

12 Comments Why America Is Fucked… Graphically, At Least

1. B July 26, 2008 at 3:01 AM

i am really glad this movie is going to be made.
    I didn’t know someone shared the same view points on graphic design as i did.

2. Steven July 26, 2008 at 3:24 AM

Bobby,

You’re taking it back.

Thanks for all the hard work.

-Steve

3. a. July 26, 2008 at 8:21 AM

Draplin is king!

4. Asvetic July 26, 2008 at 11:10 AM

I don’t know who that guys is, but I love it so much. Big sweaty hi-five for saying what everyone is thinking… so, he dropped a few F-Bombs, it was needed!

5. jarred July 26, 2008 at 11:23 AM

we’re taking it back …… we’re taking it all back ….. i agree with this and everything this idea stands for!!!!

cant wait to see this

6. brad July 26, 2008 at 1:16 PM

this looks really interesting.

i’m glad he’s not being “politically correct” or whatever about how disgusting that is.

7. Jesus H. America July 26, 2008 at 4:05 PM

I wholly agree with the sentiments he expresses, but the title is idiotic. Why America is fucked? Really? We’ve got way bigger problems than some shitty graphic design.

8. Dan! July 26, 2008 at 5:17 PM

I love how sincerely pissed he gets over the typeface choice and how poorly the sign was done. I think it’s funny because I’ve gotten that way tons of times, but it’s interesting to see someone else freak out over it besides me for once. First, I thought he was just kind of being stupid and making something out of nothing, but now after thinking about it. He has a very good argument.. I can’t wait to see the rest of this.

9. BobbyBobby July 27, 2008 at 1:50 AM

Jesus H. America: In the video he doesn’t ever say that it’s the biggest problem in America. If you have a problem with the title, I’d suggest writing him, I’m sure you’d get an equally eloquent response.

10. Neil S July 27, 2008 at 9:24 AM

“not a fob…not a, fucking…dominos card credit thing”

That was wonderful and hilarious, I would have liked to see him sketch a sign that didn’t suck for them too.

11. Pingback: It’s cuss like a sailor day! : NOT YELLOW, CHICKEN