The Dark Knight

Saturday night I went out with my best friend and a bunch of his friends to celebrate his birthday, and what’s a better way to do that than to see the new Batman flick? Both my best friend and I are closet nerds, we have many other interests, but when it comes to comic books, we know ungodly amounts, probably to the point of embarrassment. So saying that we were excited about the movie was a slight understatement, not that we dressed up or anything!

Now having seen The Dark Knight, I can without a doubt in my mind say that it’s my favorite movie of the year so far, if not the best all year. The movie is two and half hours of perfection, every performance is nuanced, every directorial decision is flawless, and you’re left sitting in the theater as the credits are rolling wanting more. Heath Ledger was so amazing, it’s kind of hard to put it into words. I know a lot of people are seeing this movie because of his tragic death, but that has nothing to do with my thoughts on his role. He made you laugh and creeped the shit out of you. What he did with that character was above and beyond what I think anyone ever imagined, and I wholeheartedly believe that he should get an Oscar nod. But really, every actor int he movie was absolutely amazing and gave flawless performances.

But I don’t think any of it would have been possible without Chris Nolan’s amazing vision of the movie. The fact that he directed and helped write it definitely plays a large role in this, as he really oversaw every bit and detail. The movie is PG-13, but there are definitely some VERY visceral scenes where even though they don’t show anything, you’re definitely disturbed by what just happened. Anyhow, I hate writing this really vague reviews, I just don’t want to spoil anything. Just go see the damn movie, it’s definitely worth your time and money.

11 Comments The Dark Knight

1. Jonathan July 21, 2008 at 10:14 AM

I whole-heartedly concur. This is without rival, the top movie of the year-to-date.

2. Angele July 21, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Maybe vague but intense.
    I remember Jack Nicholson as Joker and he was so great (as usual). It seems that here the character is very dark and scary.
    Waiting for the french release in 3 weeks.

3. Jamil July 21, 2008 at 12:19 PM

the surprise for me (’cause all the previews & hype prepared me for Ledger’s killer performance) was how fucking good Gary Oldman was, like genius good. his disappearance into Gordon’s character matches Heath’s in my book.

4. vesper de vil July 21, 2008 at 1:02 PM

I agree 100%!

My favourite film of the year thus far.

5. Jeff July 21, 2008 at 3:03 PM

It sounds awesome!! But what movie would even compete as best of the year so far? Iron Man? Wall-E?

I know this probably isn’t the best forum for that question. I’m just curious if I’m missing anything good.

6. rey-o July 21, 2008 at 4:56 PM

an excellent film, this summer was filled with so many great movies – what a way to cap it all off.

even those it’s been a couple of days since seeing it, my mind is still reeling from The Dark Knight

7. Robert Wilson IV July 22, 2008 at 8:07 AM

I completely agree. I feel like Nolan is our generations Spielberg and Ledger’s Joker is our Jaws, more of a force of nature than a person.

8. Jacob July 22, 2008 at 10:54 AM

I left the theater feeling sick to my stomach. After seeing his performance, I could fully understand why Heath Ledger was in the mental state he was in. I really wish the producers had put a bigger tribute to him at the end, maybe with just a picture of Heath as something other than the Joker.

But, the performance was one of the absolute best I have ever seen. Between Heath’s acting and Nolan’s interpretation of the character, I can’t think of a better role.

9. m July 23, 2008 at 4:23 AM

to be honest i left it a tad disappointed. not in the film itself, i thought it was brilliant bar one or two puns and the acting of a few extras. but it was the fact that we will never be able to see that joker again. it was definately the joker’s movie , he captured every scene with his disturbed nature everytime i saw the joker on screen i saw an unpredictable sociopath with a genuine desire for anarchy and a need exploit the dark side of human nature, not jim carey in tights.

so pumped for a sequal should it eventuate

10. lucian July 27, 2008 at 10:11 AM

great movie!

just a small question… ain’t it weird that the motorbike had such wide wheels, and thus probably very little traction in the curves? it’s a small detail, but didn’t it struck them producers that motorbikes usually have rounded wheels, not square ones (seen from front/behind)… or am i just too picky? :)

otherwise great movie, very well played, especially by the joker…