Want To Eat Locally? Try Pigeon.

There’s a great article over on Wired Science written by Alexis Madrigal that poses the question, why don’t we eat pigeons? So most people think of pigeons as “rats with wings” as this has become their modern day cross to bear. In a time where food prices are starting to rise though, the article suggests that we start taking a look at the pigeon as an alternative food source for two main reasons; they survive on the extra food that we throw away, and they multiply like crazy, numbering somewhere in the “hundreds of millions”.

The article even goes into detail talking about the 1970’s 1870’s and how the Passenger pigeon was hunted into extinction cuz’ they were so tasty! She also links to a Seed article which talks about the pigeons rather healthy immunity to avian flu, making them that much more appealing.

She ends the article basically saying that what if pigeons were rebranded back to what they originally were called, squab? Would you be more inclined to eat squab? I think this is a really interesting idea, and like some people in the comments section say, it’s a common practice in other countries. I feel like American’s almost have this wild pet sort of idea that keeps them from being able to detach the idea of a pigeon as a possible food-stuff. But I do think I would try squab, it probably tastes like chicken.

9 Comments Want To Eat Locally? Try Pigeon.

1. zfink July 20, 2008 at 11:39 AM

I’ve seen pigeon offered at a number of restaurants when traveling in France. I never got around to trying it, unfortunately.

2. AG July 20, 2008 at 2:00 PM

The 1870s, actually; that hunt was in the 1870s. The last known passenger pigeon died in 1914, but the great decline began about 40 years earlier. (Just a quibble; love the blog!)

3. BobbyBobby July 20, 2008 at 2:16 PM

HA! Thanks for the correction Angela!

4. domce July 20, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I want some squab in my chopsuey!

5. Phil July 20, 2008 at 4:51 PM

My Grandfather told me they ate pigeon all the time during WWII here in Germany. They even wanted to take away his BB Gun (with which he shot them) for war purposes. Stupid Nazis ;-) I thought I even saw a pigeon recipe of Jamie Oliver the other day.

6. A July 20, 2008 at 6:46 PM

I would never want to eat a pigeon. Especially the ones hear in New York. All they do is eat the garbage that people throw in the streets.

7. Bob July 20, 2008 at 9:19 PM

I have eaten pigeon in Germany, cooked with just a bit of salt, pepper and paprika and it was very tasty – nothing more than a chicken finger.

I’ve had most North American game and have eaten horse in Germany. Considering some standards for chicken, I can’t imagine “flying rat” would be any less healthy for you and just as tasty!

cheers,
    Bob

8. ad July 21, 2008 at 12:47 AM

in france, we eat pigeon (not often, many of french never try it) but it’s not pigeon from the city, just the pigeon who live in the forest…we make a discrimination with the urban pigeon
    But i think it will be a good idea, we’ll have a big “partie de chasse” all around the town and a big barbecue aftrer waouh!
    ad
    you had to know that is very good

9. elede July 21, 2008 at 2:09 PM

My grandma here in Baja California says it taste like chicken just that it feels a little bit harder…
    My cats like them a lot.