The Official Watchmen Trailer

Here it is lady and gents, the next big movie coming from DC Comics, one of the most celebrated comic books ever written, Watchmen. For those who’ve never read it, WIkipedia describes it as:

Watchmen is set in 1985, in an alternative history United States where costumed adventurers are real and the country is edging closer to a nuclear war with the Soviet Union (the Doomsday Clock is at five minutes to midnight). It tells the story of a group of past and present superheroes and the events surrounding the mysterious murder of one of their own.

The book basically changed the entire medium of comics, edging more towards a darker, more realistic tone in comic books. The comic was seen more as an epic novel done in comic book form than about people dressing up in tights. It was about real people with problems, trying to deal with a murder of one of their own on the brink of world disaster. And even though it’s been 22 years since it first came out, the ideas in the book still ring true, just different circumstances.

Directing the picture is Zak Snyder who also did 300, and while it wasn’t the best plot, it was certainly beautiful to look at, and he’s definitely recaptured that. I personally think the trailer looks great, it looks like he’s definitely gotten the mood and feel of the world, the characters look right and real, and hopefully the story can hold up to the original book… But I’m not holding my breath. Anyhow, watch the trailer and let me know what you think. I think if DC can keep this up they could start to rival Marvel in movie terms (they’re still nothing comic book-wise, haha…).

Or watch it over on Apple Trailers in HD, plus it has the iconic smiley button : )

14 Comments The Official Watchmen Trailer

1. rey-o July 17, 2008 at 9:17 PM

so good – visually, Snyder is hitting all the right notes. The question of how he’ll pull off one of the most complex and layered narratives as a film? Who knows!

Also worth noting: in past interviews Snyder has mentioned he wanted the movie to reference the history of comic book movies much in the same way that Watchmen references the history of comic books*. So it’s pretty neat how he was able to recappropriate this Smashing Pumpkins song “the end is the beginning is the end” which was originally made for the dreadful Batman and Robin film. Now given more power and meaning then it had before.

*source:http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=34188

2. Nick July 17, 2008 at 9:17 PM

Interesting they would use a song in the trailer that was originally recorded for one of the Schumacher Batman films (I think). On purpose, or coincidence?

3. Nick July 17, 2008 at 9:39 PM

I guess that answers my question then.

4. Asvetic July 18, 2008 at 4:43 AM

This looks so sweet!

5. Matt July 18, 2008 at 8:13 AM

I would have to disagree on the comics comment-I prefer DC.

Through out the graphic novel there is a comic book story of a sailor being read by a background character. The movie omits this story but an animated version of the story is to be released on DVD the same week the The Watchmen movie premiers.

6. Pingback: FreePress Blog » GR Shared Link - The Official Watchmen Trailer

7. Brad July 18, 2008 at 10:16 AM

I just always liked Moore’s Swampthing better.

8. BobbyBobby July 18, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Top 10 and Promethea are my favorites, both of which would make crazy ass movies.

9. Abe July 18, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Eh, still pretty dubious. Saw the trailer in theaters, as best I can tell it’s framing every shot almost identically to ones in the comic. Pretty cool thing to pull off, but I have no idea if it translates into a good movie…

10. rey-o July 18, 2008 at 4:22 PM

you know what would have been neat for the whole pirate dealy?

opening week – folks who see watchmen also get a free copy of “the black freighter”. but that would require way to much time/effort/money.

boo

11. Rob McDougall July 18, 2008 at 7:18 PM

OK, I’m officially hyped!

And I thought I was the only fan of obscure Smashing Pumpkins songs around here… most excellent that it’s like a self-reference to other comic book movies.

12. Davel July 18, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Thank God. I’ve been waiting for this for a long time. They’re going to nail this. Thank god Zack Synder wants to make this movie 3 and a half hours long.

13. Jessica Faster July 18, 2008 at 8:42 PM

I cannot wait… Welll I can. I’m waiting till the Dark Knight so I can see it on the big screen.

I really don’t like the chick that’s playing Laurie though.

14. Pingback: Homepage