The Coke Zero Billboards Have Been Changed!

I just got an email from Mr. Andy Mueller reminding me of a photo I took a couple weeks ago that I’ve posted above.

A few weeks ago, some of you might remember that I posted about how Coke Shamelessly Ripped Off Evan Hecox, or at least totally stole his style to try make a buck. Some of you got it, some of you were totally blind, but here we are now, and Coke has changed all of the billboards in the Los Angeles area to the top image. That’s right folks, they took out the background of the image, the most offensive part, and replaced it with a new guy.

I’m not going to say that I single-handedly made this change come about, but that’s a pretty weird coincidence, right? I think it’s pretty crazy how much power the internet has these days, and maybe if you make a big enough of a stink about something you can really cause some change, even if it is something small. I will say this though, good call Coke. Even if I had nothing do with this change, at least it shows some respect to a damn fine artist who deserved better than to have his style shilled out for a soft drink.

What do you all think?

11 Comments The Coke Zero Billboards Have Been Changed!

1. Sean July 17, 2008 at 9:21 AM

i hate it when companies pull crap like this.

the top billboard is being used in New York but ive never seen the bottom one before

keep up the good work!

2. Chas July 17, 2008 at 11:17 AM

I’m glad they changed it because Evan is an amazing artist who deserved money for ripping his style. Hey Bobby that line you wrote about “some of you got it, some of you were blind” is friggin’ snooty. You have a cool blog and all but sometimes I get the feeling you like the smell of you own farts.

3. BobbyBobby July 17, 2008 at 11:29 AM

That’s the fun thing about running your own blog and working your ass off, you can write whatever the hell you want.

4. Tim July 17, 2008 at 2:25 PM

They changed them out here in Chicago as well. Congrats!

5. TallFace July 17, 2008 at 3:15 PM

i like the original better

question though: was the artwork on the original billboard evan hecox’s and coke used it without permission? or did they just use his “style”?

because stealing and imitating are two different things…and if you’re going to get all bent out of shape because someone else is imitating your “style”, as sucky as that is, you had better suck it up….because that shit is going to happen man

6. Asvetic July 17, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Please Chas, you’re the one that’s coming off snotty… I kinda like the smell of Bobby’s farts just fine!

Anyway, it’s a shame it took over 3 months for them to change the billboards… they essential got what they wanted out of them by now.

Oh well, if it sparked interest in Evan Hecox’s work that would be the silver lining.

7. Chas July 17, 2008 at 7:33 PM

LOL. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to offend anyone. Especially with my horrible typing abilities.

8. Asvetic July 18, 2008 at 4:48 AM

TallFace: One of the great saying designers have is: “Good designer borrow, Great designers steal.” Imitation is in it self the most sincerest of compliments. Course if it’s a money-hungry faceless corporation like Coke, it kinda looses the charm.

Chas: The beauty of the internet is… you can speak your mind. So expect to offend a few people and rally together others. However, typing skills are required.

9. bob loblaw July 18, 2008 at 8:44 AM

just to note they didnt redraw the character they just did the classic “put it on an angle and it will look different”. as for evan hecoxesque yeah it totally is..but its not really done that well. i find that even more disappointing.

10. Dany October 8, 2008 at 6:06 PM

I don’t know but this guy is much cuter!!! I like him

Comments are closed.