Is This The End of Taco Trucks?

Photo courtesy of josewollf

One of the best things about Los Angeles is definitely the food. After a long night of dancing and drinking, there’s simply nothing better than a stop by the local taco truck to sober you up for your drive home. Sadly, my friend Max just forwarded me a link from a couple months back talking about Los Angeles County’s attempt at keeping taco trucks off the streets. I guess a number of brick-and-mortar restaurants are complaining that the taco trucks are taking away their business, so L.A. County has passed a law that makes it illegal for them to linger at one location for more than an hour. If they do, they face a “$1,000 fine or up to six months in prison.”

I’m not really sure why, but this pisses me of sooooooo much. If I have a craving for Mexican food, I go to a sit-down restaurant and have a nice meal. When I want a late night snack though, say at 2 AM, that same sit-down place is NOT GOING TO BE OPEN. This is the beauty of taco trucks, they stay open late, they’re cheap, and they’re fast. The picture above is my absolute favorite place in L.A., Taco Zone, and they make the best damn chicken quesadillas. The funny thing is that the closest “restaurant” to Taco Zone is a McDonalds, and the next closest is at least 6 or 7 blocks away.

I think the only thing that may be protecting them is that they moved the truck into the parking lot of a Vons supermarket, so hopefully they’re safe there. Still, it would be a shame to lose any sort of food truck anywhere in Los Angeles.

9 Comments Is This The End of Taco Trucks?

1. fabricio July 9, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Talking about the land of laws, signs and rules… oh… and tickets… everybody gives tickets in California. One cannot even make a living these days… There are 30 million mexicans in the US; there are going to be taco trucks around…

2. Jen Mac July 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Bobby – I really appreciated this interesting post. Though one thing that really startled me is that this seems like this new policy smells of racism/classism…

Most of the people who own and operate the taco trucks are people of color – Latinos.

3. BobbyBobby July 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM

I dunno, I don’t like making this into a race issue, but it certainly does affect Latinos trying to make a living more than anyone.

But I could also see the people pushing for this sort of thing being upper class, snobby, white, business owners on the west side. The east-siders totally support taco trucks!

4. MW July 9, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Great post Bobby.

I agree with you about loving taco trucks. They are one of my favorite things about L.A. I hope the county reconsiders or people make them reconsider.

5. Jonas July 10, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Wow, what a great post! I just experienced this for myself going home, trying to find a quick bite at 12:30 at night, the closest thing being one of these trucks and a Mc’D’s. I would’ve stopped by the truck if it weren’t for the band of miscreants gathered around it. I went to the Mc’D’s, bad decision, but it WAS the only place around besides my favorite, Lucy’s, on the corner of Labrea and Pico. Now that I know this, I will definitely choose wisely.

6. Chris Svensson July 10, 2008 at 4:29 PM

TACO ZONE!!!! That’s my favorite taco truck of all time.

7. Taco July 12, 2008 at 1:51 AM

My parents decided to call me Taco back when mexican food wasn’t really popular in the Netherlands (to be fair, it is an existing Dutch name, albeit a rare one).

I’ve always loved this unusual aspect of my existence, and when I spent my art school exchange time in LA, well.. they seemed to like it too. I would get questions like ‘so are you a soft or a hard taco?’ Very funny.

So in California I did a photo series of all the Taco stands, trucks and restaurants i could find. I ended up with about 50 pictures of awesome logos with my name on it. My favourite of course (name-wise) was King Taco.
    But I must say this faux-italic Arial, all caps ‘Taco Zone’ comes in a good second!

Thanks for this post, bring back geat memories of my time in Tinseltown.

8. sin July 12, 2008 at 3:40 AM

we don’t have such a thing in russia (where i came from), but in china (where i study) things like this never stop to work. last month i saw a police inspection, which were closing grill-track near my house, now there are three more trucks opened )))

my teacher said, that chinese women won’t start learn how to cook, till her mother die (with could), or till each single fast-and-cheap place near her home closed.