Mario Hugo

Where as yesterday things were a bit more colorful, today I’m feeling a little more minimal, at least when it comes to palette and form. So it was nice to see the work of Mario Hugo once again, thanks to a reminder by the folks at Changethethought. Mario’s online portfolio has already been updated with over 10 projects, but my personal favorite was definitely his spec work for Beck.

Mario was asked to develop “non-verbal,bold, iconic concepts for Beck’s newest album”, and man he did an amazing job. My guess is that it was too minimal for Beck’s usually outrageous and over the top style, but I’m really glad Mario was able to share what he created with the rest of us. Even though the pieces are done in only cream and black, they’re amazingly striking, filled with tons of different patterns and amazing shapes. I love the wood grains you see above, clean, contemporary and so completely graphic.

Check the rest of Mario’s work, especially if you haven’t been in a while!

9 Comments Mario Hugo

1. Christopher Cox June 24, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Yeah his spec work for Beck really inspired me. I love experimental typography and this guy is a pro.

2. Tony June 24, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Beck surprisingly went with a cover even more minimal than this.

But this guy’s stuff is great! I love the album covers that have the title and/or band in a cool font.

3. sugarcanefamily June 25, 2008 at 7:57 AM

AHEM – “Mario was asked to develop non-verbal,b old, iconic concepts for Beck’s newest album…”

RESULT – I can see why they weren’t chosen. These designs ARE verbal, thus not what the client asked for. Granted, fun typeform experiments and mood.
    My opinion is to many people just try to push their style onto every project and completely miss the clients’ desires and intended direction.

4. BobbyBobby June 25, 2008 at 9:15 AM

… Or if you bothered to look at his site, you would have seen plenty of non-verbal examples as well.

5. sugarcanefamily June 25, 2008 at 10:08 AM

just reacting to what you had shown at your blog:
    both written and visual. true, there are other “non-verbal” examples at his site, but it doesn’t take away the fact that beck and/or the label felt those design solutions didn’t work. thanks for the feedback
    and nice site.

6. Pingback: modern guilt « Hipster Collective

7. god September 1, 2008 at 10:30 PM

WOW! mario is amazing. His brother gaston as also amazing at art

8. Lucy June 5, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I love these album artworks! too bad it wasn’t used for the actual album…but Beck’s music makes up for that hehe.