Pictures of Success | A Kitsune Noir Mini-Mix

Pictures of Success | A Kitsune Noir Mini-Mix
Click here to download

Since summer is here I’ve been looking for more and more new summer music to listen to, so I decided to get a Best of Paul Simon album. This was the catalyst for this new mix, which is more of a mini-mix because it’s not even 30 minutes long. Basically I heard Paul Simon’s Kodachrome and thought, I should make a fun photo/camera kind of mix. Well I didn’t want to stuff this mix with songs because they had something vaguely to do with cameras or photography, so what you get is a very to the point mix with no frills, just a good time.

The front and back covers were obviously inspired by old Kodachrome film, but it’s a very bastardized version. I basically went on a big image hunt to find packaging and type references to make it look convincing without being a direct ripoff. Of note, the price tag was taken directly from a box of Kodachrome. I hope you all enjoy it, and it’ll hold you over till I make a much more epic mix.

01 Kodachrome by Paul Simon
02 Photo Jenny by Belle & Sebastian
03 Click Click Click Click by Bishop Allen
04 I Turn My Camera On by Spoon
05 Photograph by Air
06 Pictures of Success by Rilo Kiley
07 The Song for Kelly Huckaby

22 Comments Pictures of Success | A Kitsune Noir Mini-Mix

1. matt June 17, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Beautiful mix, beautiful mood. Thanks so much!!!

2. Kris Arruda June 17, 2008 at 9:41 PM

It’s impressive how you make all your stuff so well done. And don’t even charge for it :-D

I got to know your work first from the Wallpaper Project, but all the rest it’s pretty outstanding too.

Congrats, keep up the awesome job.

By the way, i’m from Brazil, and you’re blog/site whatever, is one of the things that makes the web so fantastic.

Sorry for the poor english.

3. BobbyBobby June 17, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Thanks for the kind words Kris, and no worries, your English is great!

4. colleen June 17, 2008 at 9:56 PM

i couldn’t have come home to a better surprise. seriously man, the reason i got obsessed with this blog was through your other mixes. sunshine sometime is in my car stereo right now, though it will be quite bittersweet tommorrow when i replace it with this one.

5. Max June 17, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Thanks for the songs
    You missed “Pictures of You” By the Cure

6. BobbyBobby June 17, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Nope, wouldn’t have fit, haha…

7. Nick Zegel June 17, 2008 at 10:15 PM

This is the first mix I’ve downloaded from your site but you’ve inspired me to make some future mixes available to the public via my own site. Thanks for sharing. What a good excuse to make album art eh?

8. BobbyBobby June 17, 2008 at 10:16 PM

It’s honestly half the reason I do it!

9. Will June 18, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Hey Bobby

I first discovered your blog while searching for some some James Mercer mp3s from the Moonshine festival ( i think thats what i was looking for!?!?!) – Result !!

I check the Kitsune blog every day now, im just downloading youre latest mix, we have very similar music tastes…i think you should check out ‘Fleet Foxes’ – the song ‘Mykonos’ goes into this amazing Neil Young esque-ness about half way through…go check out their myspace if you have time.

Will

10. malte June 18, 2008 at 12:34 AM

this is amazing! thanks a lot, bobby. everyday you somehow manage to post / create / design at least one thing that absolutely hits my taste.
    kitsuné noir has become one of my favourite blogs in a very short time.

11. Taylor June 18, 2008 at 8:06 AM

This is most definitely your best mix yet. Also, you did an extremely nice job with your font choice.

12. Johanna June 18, 2008 at 8:07 AM

Thank you! Can’t wait to listen. I love how bright the cover art is.

13. Fubiz June 18, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Excellent selection and songs !

14. Jon June 18, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Great mix! Not to be a party pooper, but don’t you worry about getting hammered by music labels? I’ve often thought about making compilations like this available but have heard one too many horror stories.

15. BobbyBobby June 18, 2008 at 5:35 PM

I’m not really worried about it. As long as the songs are mixed together like this I think that protects me. It’s not like I’m giving away an individual song. I can always call it art!

16. fernanda June 18, 2008 at 8:27 PM

I’m listening to this mixtape and loving it. thanks for sharing with us!

17. cake. June 19, 2008 at 11:54 AM

whoa. that album cover is absolutely amazing. {and putting belle and sebastian right after paul simon is pretty great too!}

18. Travis June 22, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Yayyy! Thanks!

19. pedro freenandes June 22, 2008 at 3:34 PM

wow. im dazed and confused. this is great bobby! but… wait! is that photoshop? jesus f*** christ! im light years again of mastering photoshop. it just looks like a scan image!
    such an excellent mix…

20. Nigel June 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM

What about Def Leppard’s Photograph? haha although I don’t think it would have fit the mood.

21. BrainChild June 23, 2008 at 6:23 AM

My favorite mix thus far. Perfect in every way. Love these songs, and love the theme and how you put it together. I have been listening to this mix over and over again and been out just taking pictures of anything and everything and its just awesome. Thank you.

22. BobbyBobby June 23, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Pedro: All Photoshop, I just threw in some textures I found online and rasterize then blur the fonts so they sit better.

Thanks to everyone else for all the nice words, you guys are the best!