Salt + Pepper

For some reason I’ve been having these weird dreams, and lately they’ve been about design and art. In my opinion this is pretty damn weird, but it’s also kind of exciting because I’ve been having getting some really creative ideas from them lately, I can only hope they continue. But one dream in particular was about redesigning salt and pepper containers, like the big Morton Salt kind. But my dream “told me” (haha) to make it really modern and awesome looking.

So I came up with the two ideas above, a very simple and modern version of what those generic containers could be. The image on the salt containers is a close-up of salt crystals, and the pepper container has peppercorns. Anyhow, I knew that the salt needed a white band and the pepper a black band that would then translate to the top and bottom of the container as well. So when you go to the store you wouldn’t really need to even look at the words on the side, just look at the top. The font used was Univers simply because I’m sick of using Helvetica, but I think it looks good anyhow. I decided to go with a light version to let the photo be more prevalent than the text.

That’s about it, I just started this a couple hours ago so I thought I’d post about it while it was still fresh. What do you guys think? And if you know anyone looking to buy awesome salt and pepper packaging, go ahead and send them my way.

14 Comments Salt + Pepper

1. dr727 May 27, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Nice work, Bobby. Digging the photo selection.

2. Pete May 27, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Wow i really like these man. They definately look modern. As for the type, i think it looks great.

I wish my dreams were as creative as yours! :-)

3. Kris Arruda May 27, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Love it. Elegant!

4. stephen May 27, 2008 at 8:30 AM

The design looks great. Your weights are incorrect. 16 oz in a pound, 453.xx grams.

5. lorena May 27, 2008 at 10:13 AM

nice, but since the type isn’t all that legible on the salt version, and making it black would reduce the effect, and you’re using colors more than type, try just using a big S and P sorta off to the side…maybe overlapping onto another part of the label? not too large but a good size. then you can hook that small text to the letter or to the bottom/side of the design?
    run-on sentences, i know.
    by the way, check out tiffany bozic (if you haven’t already), her show just started this past Saturday.

6. Jason May 27, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Looks great. :D

Over here, food packaging is either hit or miss. If it was first designed in America, the text gets all squishy because they just haphazardly squeeze the French onto the packaging and reduce the font size until it fits. :(

7. Rob May 27, 2008 at 2:30 PM

hehe that´s great, cool idea.
    I think the background distracts in an unmodern way… I would love the typo just as it is, but the background pic is a plain white and a plain black with salt /pepper lying on it. it is very little salt/pepper and the angle is from above, like 90° downwards. the salt/pepper is scattered from the upper right corner to the middle bottom. ooh I´m having a vision =) I hope u can imagine it.

best

8. Diane May 27, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Great idea! :)
    Only critique I have is that the salt and pepper text don’t stand out enough to catch a consumers eye. If a consumer was to see that from afar they probably wouldn’t notice it was salt / pepper because of how much the text blends into the background.

9. Richard May 27, 2008 at 4:03 PM

I like it. Maybe use the burn feature to make the white type in the salt label stand out. Other than that..good stuff.

10. BobbyBobby May 27, 2008 at 4:06 PM

I think everyone’s monitors are off, because there is a clear distinction between the white in Salt and the white/grey behind it. I’m not being defensive, that’s really how it is on my computers/how I designed it! haha…

11. christopher bird May 28, 2008 at 12:45 PM

we totally think on the same level. i’ve been using univers a lot lately, as opposed to helvetica. let’s make a movie called univers and be rich.

i won’t critique. ;)

12. Luke May 31, 2008 at 11:40 PM

I really like these designs; I’d definitely buy something with packaging that was this original. As for the ‘Salt’, I can very clearly see the big ‘S’ in the word, but have some difficulty seeing the ‘LT’. Perhaps you should just place the majority of the word on a darker salt crystal?

13. Patrick June 10, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Nice work. Great choice of photography. I think the titles could have benefited from a slightly heavier weight just to stand out some more. I thought about the packaging a while back and thought it would be really daring to have a container of salt that was just an all white rectangular column container and pepper that was an all black tube container (like the Morton salt). Maybe have embossed white “SALT” type in huge letters on the white wrapping and embossed “PEPPER” in black letters on black wrapping. Build in a grinder into the pepper packaging and they’d be cool enough to put right at the dining table.