The Desktop Wallpaper Project featuring Tavis Coburn

The Desktop Wallpaper Project featuring Tavis Coburn

Tavis Coburn

Welcome to another Wednesday! I’m writing this at 1 am right now, totally exhausted from a night of packing, cleaning and retouching, but The Desktop Wallpaper Project must go on! This weeks wallpaper comes from the uber-talented Tavis Coburn, and is definitely one of the fancier wallpapers. Tavis went to the Art Center School of Design in Pasadena, California where he earned a fine art degree. Nowadays he’s headquartered up in snowy Toronto where he works for clients like ESPN, Nike, Entertainment Weekly and The Discovery Channel. He also has an amazing online print store that sells his work, definitely something to check out.

As for his wallpaper, I love it for multiple reason. The first is because of the amazing style it’s done in. It totally looks like it could have ben created 50 years ago, with the faded whites and halftone patterns all over. Secondly, I love how frigging random this is. A giant dude chewing on the backboard of a basketball hoop? The way it’s framed is pretty clever as well, with not as much info as you’d like to be shown. My last favorite part is that this looks like a fat-boy version of me, or at least I think so. I’m not sure if this was on purpose or not, but I hope it was!

I think for next week we might do things a little differently. How about you all let me know what style of background you want, and I’ll pick one that matches what you guys want to see most? Don’t say artists names because a) They might not be participating and b) I’m not telling who is participating anyway, haha… So if you want some illustration, design, painted, digital, analog… whatever you all want I’ll try and make it happen.

11 Comments The Desktop Wallpaper Project featuring Tavis Coburn

1. James April 30, 2008 at 9:14 AM

I would like to see how an artist would go about producing an “analogue” background.
    I personally fancy something of a slightly dark nature, and painted, in the style of Luke Cheuh, you probably know him but here is the address just in case /

Otherwise something like mcbess, busy and interesting, good to look at in those moments of nothingness like those Stella Artois adverts which had visual references to films in them. i don’t know if you got those in the states so they are here

scroll down to see the three different ads.

Looking forward to the next wall paper all ready!

2. Ariel April 30, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Digital would be nice… I’m not sure what else to say.

3. Jason April 30, 2008 at 10:34 AM

The rest of the country would laugh if us Torontonians ever referred to our city as “snowy”. Hahaha.

Mmm I love Wednesdays. People love how my desktop wallpaper is always changing.

4. rey-o April 30, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Toronto represent!

I had a chance to sit for a lecture with Tavis in my 3rd year, really informative stuff.

5. Darci April 30, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Because I project my desktop on a whiteboard during class, I would like something simple and graphic. But for my phone I prefer color and graphics…so either way I am happy.

6. d! April 30, 2008 at 9:03 PM

tavis got his degree in illustration. that is a very important!

i went to college with tavis. the two programs were like night and day. we got to study with amazing illus folks like phill hays, the clayton bros, aaron and owen smith, etc… even though most of those artists i just mentioned are fine artists. we all came from the illustration program. don’t forget it!

ACCD ILLUS ’98 represent!

7. Benjamin May 1, 2008 at 6:01 AM

Another great wednesday wallpaper! I love the retro look of the illustration. For some reason the colours become slightly stronger when I use the image as wallpaper, never happened before with the other KN wallpapers… odd.. But it is still an amazing illustration and a brilliant project.

8. lala May 1, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Hey next week can u do a very clean black and white? I don’t think you’ve done that yet and it looks great as a background! Lov ya

9. ian May 3, 2008 at 11:42 AM

I love the backgrounds but I use a few 30″ cinema displays at 2560 screen res and would love to see some of the wallpapers available in that size too :)

10. claus May 9, 2008 at 11:49 AM

the expression is just stunning, and I’m somehow reminded of Neo Rauch. It’s the look in his face, maybe the motive…
    thanks for this!