Guillermo Del Toro Will Direct ‘The Hobbit’

Earlier today it was announced that the amazing Guillermo del Toro will be directing the upcoming The Hobbit movie. But that’s not all, he’ll also be directing a sequel to The Hobbit which deals with the 60 year period between where The Hobbit ends and Lord of the Rings begins. In fact he’s so commited to the movie that he’s moving to New Zealand for the next four years so he can film the movies back to back.

I’ve been a big fan of del Toro’s since I saw The Devil’s Backbone (which has one of the VERY best ghosts I’ve ever seen in a movie) and of course the amazing job he did on Pan’s Labyrinth as well. I think that he’ll do an amazing job, but it sucks that we all have to wait until 2011 and 2012 to see these movies!

For more info check out the Variety article here.

9 Comments Guillermo Del Toro Will Direct ‘The Hobbit’

1. maxjue April 25, 2008 at 2:15 AM

i hope you’re not disregarding The Orphanage on purpose.
    that movie was astounding.

2. maxjue April 25, 2008 at 2:15 AM

even though he didn’t DIRECT it.

3. john April 25, 2008 at 3:45 AM

Brilliant news:) I’m sure he would only agree to this if he had complete control too

4. cari April 25, 2008 at 9:12 AM

where did you find that illustration? i love it!

5. Veronica April 25, 2008 at 2:28 PM

The Devil’s Backbone is so creepy! I’m pretty psyched about the Hobbit – I really liked the music for the Rings trilogy, and I can assume it’s probably going to be similar.

6. Louise April 28, 2008 at 11:24 AM

yeah i was about to say, the orphanage is absoloutely epic.

7. ryan May 4, 2008 at 12:17 PM

The real tragedy is that since Del Toro is signed on for the Hobbit films, his long-awaited adaptation of Lovecraft’s At The Mountains of Madness is most definitely not happening anymore. DAMN.

I’d prefer a Del Toro-crafted Antarctic monster dread flick over 2 Hobbit films any day…

8. James. March 22, 2009 at 3:14 AM

You said it’s a shame that we have to wait until 2011 and 2012. I don’t really, care, as long as he makes it and makes it good! I think Peter Jackson should be directing it, not writing the screenplay!