Jorge Pardo

When it comes to art with a deeper message, or that requires you to think about what the artist was intending, I’m usually pretty turned off by it. Art to me is meant to be simple, if you look at it and you like it, it’s good. Thinking hurts my brain… But reading this new monograph of Jorge Pardo at least helps me understand that frame of mind better.

Pardo was born in Cuba, raised in Chicago, and then eventually made his way Los Angeles where he studied fine art at Art Center.
Since then he’s been creating works of art that are not only beautiful, but intend for people to think about the art he creates as well the industry of art in general. The book covers numerous points in his career, ranging from architecture to designing lights to fake J. Crew catalogs featuring Matthew Barney as the model. His use of color is also astounding, especially in reference to his ceramix tiles and lights.

His monograph is being published by Phaidon and will be coming out at the end of next month. Check out under the cut for more photos!

9 Comments Jorge Pardo

1. walker April 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Wow, simply beautiful. You dislike art that makes you think about its meaning? Man, you’re missing out on about 99% of all beautiful art! But I guess that’s why you’re such a good curator of modern design (no offense).

2. Garrett April 18, 2008 at 9:35 PM

I think Bob is talking more about when it’s like a ceramic ball glued to a feather and you’re trying to tell me it represents the beauty of childbirth or something. Bullsh#t. You’re a crappy artist.

3. Sarah April 19, 2008 at 8:52 AM

As an art student, we are taught to look for the deeper conceptual meaning, a good artist reinforces all their materials and imagery in relation to their concept, and let me tell you – it’s really hard to do. I understand that some contemporary art is a little out there at times, but art is very personal therefore artwork that you hate someone may sacrifice their life for.
    The purpose of artwork is attempting to get a message across. If you miss the message you hardly see the artwork!

4. ian April 20, 2008 at 5:25 PM

I agree Bobby. art with a deeper meaning has never been an interest of mine. if it looks cool, or evokes any sort of emotion in me, it has succeeded as a piece. the artists meaning has nothing to do with me so i can take it or leave it. if i wanted to know someone I would ask them a question, not buy a $3000 painting.

5. BobbyBobby April 20, 2008 at 7:58 PM

I think I can sum up what I was saying a little better.
    When I look at art, I want to it to be something that’s visually stimulating, whether it’s beautiful or terrifying or entrancing.
    If I want to be intellectually stimulated, then I’ll go and read a book.
    And if I want both, well then I’ll watch a movie.

6. Courtney April 21, 2008 at 1:55 PM

“Thinking hurts my brain”… That’s a weird and flippant statement (although funny). I would imagine that most of the artists you feature consider “thinking” and “art” to be inseparable and quite necessary.

You clearly have an eye for good work but it also it creates a paradox within your curatorial abilities… Does the work showcased here seem simple as if void of intellect?

I like your site.

7. BobbyBobby April 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Of course I think about the art that I post, I’m really damn picky about what goes on to the blog.

But I hate when people “over-think” art in general. When people over-think art you get tampons in teacups.

8. pike April 22, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Nice, great eye on creating such vibrating environments.

9. ramiro quesada September 9, 2009 at 7:48 PM