Copenhagen Jazz Festival 2008 Poster by Kasper Eistrup

Good morning everyone! First off I just want to say that I think today is going to be a really good day. Last night I signed the lease on my new apartment, so that stress is gone. And then after that I met up with my friend Max and we talked about some upcoming business with the blog, and I also randomly got to see my friends Kyle, Michael, Aron and Elliel as well. Then this morning I actually woke up rather early for a change, and I’ve already come across something awesome to post about!

The poster you see above was created by Kasper Eistrup, a Danish musician who is in the band Kashmir, one of Denmark’s more popular bands. For years now he’s done the covers and music videos for his band, but in 2006 he took the time to create enough work for a one man show at the Falkener Gallery in Copenhagen. Because of his obvious talent, the folks at the Copenhagen Jazz Festival commissioned him to create this years poster, and I would admit that it’s incredibly rad. The poster features a random jazz fan, it’s really no one in particular, which was Eistrup’s point:

”I have chosen to shift the focus away from the performing musician and his or her instrument, and instead portray an ardent music lover as he stands before a current of sound waves. I wanted to create a picture that was steaming with music, without directly using the usual symbols to depict it. It turned out to be a harder task than I’d expected, since a saxophone or well-know jazz figure would have given an instant, clear signal, but my objective was to achieve the same effect without them. As to whether or not I’ve succeeded, I leave that up to the observer.”

I’m absolutely in love with the “current of sound waves” behind him. And so you know, the poster is watercolor or gouache, I can’t really tell, but it’s all hand-painted, which is really nice to see these days. The color choices and the lighting is also extremely spot on, like in my mind this poster couldn’t be any better, it’s as close to perfection as you can get.

To see a larger version of the poster, you can click here, or to buy for yourself, take a visit over to here.

Found through Dansk Dynamit

9 Comments Copenhagen Jazz Festival 2008 Poster by Kasper Eistrup

1. Andreas April 18, 2008 at 8:30 AM

See the inside of his glasses: A great detail, only visible in the high res picture saying “Who is this guy?”.

2. Chris Halsted April 18, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Yeah it is really cool. Some Danes argue that it is a guy from a small but quite popular LP/Coffee shop.

The last couple of year’s posters are also quite cool, I reckon they are at the website somwhere.

Besides, you must have practiced some dansih to understand our blog, haha!

3. BobbyBobby April 18, 2008 at 9:30 AM

I wish I was that cool Chris, but the description of the poster comes in English, so I totally cheated, haha…

4. Anders April 18, 2008 at 12:25 PM

There’s more of Kasper’s work here. And as a little trivia bonus, both David Bowie and Lou Reed contributed to Kashmir’s last album, “No Balance Palace” from 2005.

5. Aaron April 21, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Hey Bobby, so cool that you posted this. It’s a great poster. The guy featured is Christian, an acquaintance of sorts and a pretty well-known chap in Copenhagen. He runs a cool little cafe that also sells vinyl. Check the pics.

6. BobbyBobby April 21, 2008 at 10:28 AM

That’s so rad that he really is a real guy! haha… P.S. I credited you to that Out My Window NYC thing, after visiting your site again I remembered that I had stole the idea from you!

7. Pingback: Something Rotten » Blog Archive » Beaten to the punch

8. cubikmusik December 5, 2008 at 11:54 AM

so cool you posted on this and a bit of story behind it.
    i was in copenhagen in august for a weekend and bought a print of this poster (70cmx70cm) and just got it framed and put it up on my wall last night.
    i love it!

also, just checked out the ‘who is this guy?’ nice.

cheers
    colin

9. cubikmusik July 19, 2009 at 1:56 PM

update: just got the 2009 poster.
    chuffed.