Swimming / French Kicks

Carried Away by French Kicks

Sex Tourists by French Kicks

I first heard the French Kicks about 6 years ago when they opened up for Hot Hot Heat back when I lived in Sacramento. I hadn’t ever heard of them before that, and up until a month ago I hadn’t heard from them since. But now they’ve released a new album called Swimming, and I swear that this album is going to make them huge.

French Kicks is made up of four guys, Jamie Krents, Nick Stumpf, Matthew Stinchcomb, and Aaron Thurston, and the band has had several different incarnations. Around 2004, Nick who played drums started to sing at live shows, which is how Aaron got into the band playing drums in his absence. Now though the band sounds amazing, with hints of the past influencing their new sound.

When I put the record on for the first time, my jaw literally dropped. It’s a weird description, but it sounds like a classic. Their sound is obviously influenced by the 60’s and 70’s, but it doesn’t sound dated, it sounds really timeless. Nick Stumpf’s voice is layered and melodic, and it sounds perfect. The music itself though is mixed kind of odd, I guess in a way that makes it sound older. Nothing is crisp and precise, it just sounds like they got together and decided to record some songs. This album is going to play non-stop this summer, it’s an amazing album that I think will be a classic for years to come. I’ve posted my two favorite songs from the album above, Carried Away and Sex Tourists. If you like these songs you’ll love the rest of the album.

11 Comments Swimming / French Kicks

1. Brad April 17, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Well slap me in the mouth, that is good. I knew they had it in them. Between this and Fleet Foxes I’ve got plenty of solid Spring tunes to carry me.

2. zach April 17, 2008 at 1:22 PM

I love these guys. Haven’t given Swimming a thorough listen yet. Thanks for reminding me!

3. BobbyBobby April 17, 2008 at 1:40 PM

I know, I totally told you all.
    In EVERYONE’S face, haha…

4. hannah April 17, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Thanks for writing this post! I have an epic crush on these songs. Their album “Two Thousand” is the finest sweaty summer pop too. Last fm compares them to The Walkmen, can you hear it?

5. maxjue April 17, 2008 at 11:11 PM

i made it into your status! hahaha YAY

6. amber April 24, 2008 at 8:11 AM

i love the french kicks! their lineup has changed a little though, now it’s:

Nick Stumpf

Josh Wise ( the guy who always wears white)

Lawrence Stumpf ( Nick’s brother)

Aaron Thurston

Interestingly, Matt Stinchcomb is now VP of communications or something for Etsy – i think he was the one who always made the bands t-shirts and stuff, although that is my personal theory. :)

7. James April 27, 2008 at 2:21 PM

do you know when this comes out in the uk? i can’t seem to track it down…..

8. brian April 30, 2008 at 8:50 PM

This is my first visit to your blog, and it’s wonderful. I’m enjoying the desktop project– great idea.

Anyway, I’m moved to comment because I was at that show in Sacramento too. That seems so strange to me, though I guess it’s not really.

9. Pingback: texas holdem pokerset