The Walking Dead

A couple weeks ago my best friend Garrett suggested I check out this comic book called The Walking Dead, which he described as a really good zombie story. I’m a big fan of zombies, so I bought the first trade paperback and gave it a try. I ended up getting completely addicted to this comic, and have since bought trades 1 through 7 in an effort to try and catch up.

The story is a pretty simple one, a good cop gets shot and put into a coma, wakes up to find the world’s gone to hell. There are zombies everywhere, and no one has any idea why. There’s no government, no law, just a lot of random people trying their best to survive. But what really sets this story apart is the incredible writing from Robert Kirkman. I think he described it best in the introduction to the first trade paperback when he said, “With The Walking Dead I want to explore how people deal with extreme situations and how these events CHANGE them.”

This isn’t just some zombie story, this is about people trying to keep their humanity in a world that’s been turned upside down. What also makes the story so amazing that it doesn’t hold anything back. People cuss, people get eaten, people die. Nothing is taboo or off limits, this is how fucked up the world would be and how people would react. It’s also pretty gruesome, so if you have a problem with gore, this probably isn’t the book for you, but it’s certainly not what this book is all about either.

I can’t say enough great things about this book, so go to your local comic book shop or even a bookstore and take a peek for yourself!

20 Comments The Walking Dead

1. Rahul Gonsalves April 2, 2008 at 7:02 AM

I’ve been a big fan of The Walking Dead for a while – very soap opera-ish towards issues 34 or so, IIRC.

Very Robinson Crusoe-ish.

2. BobbyBobby April 2, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Rahul: Robinson Crusoe-ish is a good description.

Thom: Yeah I was told to check out World War Z by the girl at my local bookstore, seems like it would be a good read.

3. Brendan April 2, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Man.. don’t tell me that’s a pic of Rick getting bitten??!! Couldn’t have picked a worse pic for a spoiler :(

Definitely one of the best comics I have ever read, though!

4. BobbyBobby April 2, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Brendan, I promise you that’s not Rick : )

5. Justin April 2, 2008 at 8:06 PM

From one die-hard zombie fan to another, if you like The Walking Dead then, as a couple others have already said, World War Z is a must-read.

6. Brendan April 2, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Oh good :). Sorry for the accusation ;)

I think vol 8 comes out this month or next! Cannot wait.

7. BobbyBobby April 2, 2008 at 9:24 PM

I know, I need to get it and see what happens next! I kind of read a little sneak preview on Wikipedia… whoops!

8. JET April 3, 2008 at 8:32 PM

For the love god! This is one the most annoying affections the modern age.

A couple *OF*, please – lest you want sentences to start looking like the above.

And, yeah, The Walking Dead is pretty great.

9. BobbyBobby April 3, 2008 at 9:21 PM

JET WTF are you talking about?

10. JET April 4, 2008 at 5:45 PM

The first four words of the post.

11. BobbyBobby April 4, 2008 at 5:48 PM

I dunno, I think people who correct other people’s commonly used grammar could be put on that list as well.

12. Garrett April 4, 2008 at 5:59 PM

I would say that people using silly monikers like “JET” are much higher on the annoying affections list of this, our Modern Age. Is that JET like the one that flies or the magazine? (Holy sh#t – did an entire magazine just read your blog, Bobby?!) I would then also argue that pointing out minor grammar issues on a website that – let me check, YUP – claims to have little affiliation with grammar and it’s very exciting inner workings (PS – that bit about ‘exciting’ is a lie) is also an annoying affection and just out and out retarded…

But Walking Dead’s a great book!

13. Jeff April 5, 2008 at 8:59 AM

i would say that it’s generally accepted that “a couple weeks ago” means as close as possible to “a few weeks ago”…who even knows the difference between “a few” and “a couple”??

also, i am immediately reminded of this amazing skit:

i have a feeling that JET is one of these people:

14. mikelite April 5, 2008 at 9:08 PM

JET’s a petty petty old woman, let’s all move on. Walking Dead is fantastic. Probably a pointless question, but have you read Y The Last Man or Fables? Neither will dissappoint.

15. BobbyBobby April 5, 2008 at 9:25 PM

I’ve read both, but I don’t keep up on them. Y never did it for me, though Brian K. Vaughn is an excellent writer. And Fables has James Jean, the best cover artist out there, but I’m not so hot on the art inside, it’s too mid-90’s for me.

16. JET April 28, 2008 at 11:34 AM

JET happens to be my initials, and if you want to stop using the word “of” at least be consistent about it.

That’s all I’m saying. Who’s more sad, the fool or the fool who admonishes him for being a fool?

17. BobbyBobby April 28, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Dude, get over it or write your own blog on the proper use of of.