The G.I. Joe Movie

I absolutely grew up on G.I. Joes, like I can’t think of any thing that occupied more of my time then playing with all my figures. I would have my best friend come over and we’d have these giant battles on the floor of my living room. So it’s of utmost importance that the powers that be don’t screw up the G.I. Joe movie!!! The photo above is just a taste of what there is to look forward to, and if the rest of the costumes look anything like this, I think we’re all in for a treat.

The movie is being directed by Stephen Sommers who’s most well known for The Mummy movies, which were definitely campy, but certainly fun and not exactly painful. The screenplay is being written by a guy who helped work on Pirates of the Caribbean and the other wrote the movie Swordfish, not the best, but certainly not the worst. The cast though, is where shit starts getting good:

Channing Tatum / Duke
Sienna Miller / The Baroness
Joseph Gordon-Levitt / Cobra Commander
Dennis Quaid / General Hawk
Rachel Nichols / Shana ‘Scarlett’ O’Hara
Christopher Eccleston / Destro
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje / Heavy Duty
Ray Park / Snake Eyes
Marlon Wayans / Ripcord
Arnold Vosloo / Zartan

That list is so good I could mess myself. Channing Tatum totally has the young, good looks for Duke. Sienna Miller seems like a really awesome choice for The Baroness, I’m sure she’ll be a bad-ass bitch. Joseph Gordon-Levitt seems like a weird choice for Cobra Commander, but as long as they don’t show his face I’m cool with it. As of recently I was talking shit on Dennis Quiad, but I just saw him in Vantage Point and he was awesome, so I’m definitely excited about him as General Hawk (I hope he has that effing amazing flying jet pack! hahaha). I’ve Never heard of Rachel Nichols (I never watch Alias) but she looks damn good as a redhead and should be awesome as Scarlett. Destro is being played by some dude from Heroes, so I’m sure people are gonna’ dig that. I’m really REALLY excited about Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje playing Heavy Duty, he was always such a giant bad-ass and I think Adewale is gonna be awesome. Ray Park is going to be Snake Eyes, and as you can see above, he looks great and is going to make such a rad ninja. Marlon Wayans as Ripcord does nothing for me, he’s just gonna’ say stupid one-liners the whole time. Finally, Arnold Vosloo was that evil mummy guy from The Mummy, so he should be rad as Zartan, I just hope he has some Dreadnaughts to lead!!

Sorry about my long ass rant, just had to get that out of me! The movie is supposed to come out on August 7th, 2009, so hopefully it sticks to the schedule!
For some extra nerdyness, check out the absolutely hysterical G.I. Joe parody videos under the cut. The second clip on the first video is kind of long and annoying, so if you can’t stand it just forward past it for more hilarity.

Image found through Ain’t It Cool News

14 Comments The G.I. Joe Movie

1. Jared March 21, 2008 at 12:43 PM

dude… that just made my weekend… maybe even my year! and I’m getting married this year… so dont tell my fiance that…

2. maxjue March 21, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Rachel Nichols was only slightly above average on ALIAS – her character was fucking annoying but the acting wasn’t to blame.

3. rey-o March 21, 2008 at 2:32 PM

awesome, they didn’t stray too far from the toys for his costume!

4. kevin March 21, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Eccleston also played Doctor Who in the first season of the new series—he’s no slouch.

5. Bobby S.Bobby S. March 21, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Josh: OMG that’s the best part.
    Or, “Who wants a body massage?”

6. momma Quinn March 21, 2008 at 5:05 PM

I can’t wait to seen boyfriend channing in it!

7. Jeff Quinn March 21, 2008 at 5:59 PM

“last one there is a penis pump!”

what even?!

8. pete March 21, 2008 at 10:02 PM

“Thanks….Now we know!” “And knowing is half the battle.”

9. David March 21, 2008 at 10:31 PM

I can’t think of anything I played more than GI Joe either! We would set up scenes around the house, sometimes taking the whole day to set it up and make up a story. This is really exciting! Thanks for the post!

10. Asvetic March 23, 2008 at 4:24 PM

I always pictured Destro being played by a big black guy. He was always so pimp, plus he’s huge and bald. I’m skeptical about this Eccleston guy.

Joseph-Gordon Levitt will be awesome as always, I wonder if they’ll have the cloth shroud or the silver face plate?!

11. JayHundred March 24, 2008 at 10:09 AM

where’s storm shadow?

12. Chromey March 31, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Cobra Commander seems like a very bad idea to me. Is this gonna be teen GI JOE?

Every time people praise him I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. The guy is so wooden he makes Keanu Reeves look like Warren Oates.

13. Clifford04 April 2, 2008 at 3:03 PM

You should watch Season 5 of Alias, if for nothing other than to check out Rachel. Or find a rerun of The Inside, or check IMDB for some of her movies. Big fan I am.