Kitsune Noir Goes To Florida

This Friday night I’m flying out to Florida to spend some time with Jeff, relax, and get a tan! Because of my leisure time, posting will obviously be a little slow next week, but I think I’m going to keep my Tumblr filled with photos like I did last weekend, I really enjoyed doing that.

The thing is, I’ve never been to Florida, so I want to get suggestions from all you awesome readers who might know a couple places I should check out. I’ll be staying in Miami, but I’ll be visiting the Keys and South beach and… well those are the only places I really know of, haha. I’ve got the Wallpaper City Guide for Miami, so that should help somewhat, but I want to know about all the cool, artsy, hipster places and yummy restaurants to eat at! Rad art shows would also be fun, as well as parties or anything else exciting going on.

Fill the comments with lots of tips!

16 Comments Kitsune Noir Goes To Florida

1. Barry March 18, 2008 at 10:35 AM

There’s a good Florida-based photoblog out there that has a pretty decent amount of beach shots, sunsets, etc. You might be able to find a place to hang out.

2. drew March 18, 2008 at 10:37 AM

hey. I just wanted to say you inspired me to use my tumblr more after enjoying your weekend random pics… so that’s awesome… also, i love the higher res Mcbess pics… he’s been kinda blurry and jagged as my work-desktop-wallpaper, but i loved his work enough to deal with it. So, yeah thanks!

Have fun in South Florida. I actually live up in North Florida. it’s like two separate entities really… lol.

3. Adam March 18, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Although I’m currently living in LA, I lived in Miami Beach for 17 years (grew up and went to school there) so feel free to ask any questions! Great site by the way. If you’re into good food, make sure you stop at Joe’s Stone Crab (in South Beach). Head to Lincoln Road for shopping as well as Ocean Drive. But really depends on what you’re into. Have fun!

4. Bobby S.Bobby S. March 18, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Adam: Yeah I have plans to go to Joe’s Stone Crab, Jeff’s mom has told us nothing but amazing things about it.

P.S. Your blog is so damn wonderful, I’ll be talking about it soon-ish.

5. Ashley March 18, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I went to college in Miami, and I was just down there last weekend. If you get a chance, head to Lincoln Road and eat at Pasha’s for lunch. REALLY yummy mediterranean food. And stop by the Fly Boutique just a few blocks east, for some great vintage finds.
    Down in the Key West, go to the Roof Top Cafe for amazing conch fritters, and Ernie’s Cafe next to the Hemingway House for great conversation with the bartender there (he’ll talk for hours about Science, Space and Mushrooms!).

If you want to experience the nightlife, check out Circa in Wynwood. A couple of old friend’s dj there. Oh! And Churchill’s Pub in Little Haiti for seriously great times.

6. danielle March 18, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I live here in Miami…been living here all my life!

You should definately check out http://miaminewtimes.com/ for events, shows,restaurants. They pretty much got it all there.

There is an opening for a show called “Cute Attack” in Ft Lauderdale. It is being held at http://www.bearandbird.com on Saturday. The Gallery actually doubles as a comic book store/boutique. You’ll be lost in there forever even if you don’t enjoy the show.

As far as music, there isn’t anything REALLY exciting coming up yet. I don’t know how long you’ll be staying for but Junior Boys will be playing on 3/27 @ STUDIO A

Restaurants:
    You need to eat Cuban food! The best place you can do that at is “La Carreta”. That’s as Cuban as you can get.
    You can basically get good food in any hotspot around Miami (South Beach, Lincoln Road, Coral Gables, etc)

Feel free to email me if you want to find out about anything else. I’ll be more than happy to help.

Have Fun! – Danielle

7. billermo March 18, 2008 at 1:04 PM

wow, no one posted about any parties yet, next week thru the end of march is the WMC , a week long explosion of nightlife, seriously every single nightclub plans its most elaborate venture between march 23-29. too many single events to list.
    good places to start browsing:
    miaminights.com
    epoplife.com
    talknightlife.com
    nefariousgirl.com
    criticalmiami.com
    floridadnb.com
    sfl.8up.com

as for art,not sure how long youre down but if you are, the second saturdays of the month the area of wynwood (90+ galleries/ alternative spaces) have their gallery openings and art walk. always a treat, and a very rich cultural miami experience.

my recommendations:
    dorsch gallery
    fredric snitzer gallery
    gallery diet
    spinello gallery
    rubell family collection
    david castillo gallery

sorry about lack of proper html linkage, hope you get the most out of your trip.

8. Dani March 18, 2008 at 1:26 PM

check out Sweat Records (on NE 2nd Ave and 54th Street) for info about the latest and greatest in events, as well as their website.

for food, i recommend the design district, one of the best areas that a lot of visitors never explore. recently opened Michael’s Genuine is amazing cuisine.

for great local ethnic cuisine, i’d suggest Sergio’s on Coral Way and 32nd ave. they’re probably the best for breakfast without being too fussy about things.

on the beach, great dinner to be had at china grille on 5th street, but just as good (for less cash and larger portions) is the big pink (americana-style grub on collins ave)

enjoy your stay in the magic city

9. Joe H March 18, 2008 at 2:42 PM

You’ve gotta be kidding me – I’m going to Miami on vacation next week! How bizarre. (trust me, I won’t stalk you.)

10. Adam March 18, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Thanks for the props Bobby! I just joined the Changethethought team, but Chris Cox has been doing a great job with it.

I agree with Danielle…definitely do cuban food! LA doesn’t have the real thing. La Caretta is great, Versailles (different from the LA one) is also really good, and David’s Cafe on Lincoln Road is decent too.

Make a point to spend some time in the Design District. Tons of galleries and shops and good food.

If you have time on the way to the Keys, swing by Coral Gables and check out the Biltmore Hotel and the Venetian Pools, along with the houses and mangrove trees.

And yeah, Joe’s is great but prepare for a 3 hour wait, or just eat in the bar or do take out if you can’t wait that long…but it’s worth it!

11. eric March 18, 2008 at 2:47 PM

stay at the Raleigh.
    at least get drinks at the pool.
    and dinner. must have dinner outside
    under those trees. tell them i sent you.
    hahahaha.

12. Jeff Quinn March 18, 2008 at 2:57 PM

yeah i was gonna say we should check with christa and eric…they were like JUST there, haha.

13. Bobby S.Bobby S. March 18, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Man oh man, thank you guys so much!
    Keep the suggestions coming!

14. Mikeperez23 March 19, 2008 at 2:10 PM

First time poster (love the site, just found it last week for the 1st time)

I currently live in Miami – have lived here my whole life (I’m 37).

Eat:

Ice Box (on Lincoln Road, SoBe)
    Front Porch Cafe (on Ocean Drive, SoBe)
    Michy’s (on Biscayne Blvd, Miami) – pricey, but good…avoid Saturday traffic jam and dine Fri or Sun)

See:

Lincoln Road (duh)
    World Erotic Art Museum (Washington Ave, Miami Beach)
    The sunrise over the Atlantic ocean…a sight not to be missed

Overhyped and IMO just ok:

Joe’s Stone Crab (good stone crabs…everything else is just OK and it’s not cheap)
    Barton G Restaurant (see above minus the stone crabs)
    Ocean Drive (it was the shiz’ – now Lincoln Road is way better)

Arty hipster places:

Design District in Miami and/or Edgewater Design District in Miami
    Rubell Family Collection in Miami

Oh yeah and Jay-Z performs at the American Airlines Arena (Miami) on Friday

15. Momma Quinn March 19, 2008 at 2:21 PM

If time I would definitely do the Venetian pools and don’t worry the Bubs won’t let you out of town w/o going to the Gables! Remember she’s a native!

16. raymond Gems Adrian March 20, 2008 at 8:49 AM

If you in the design district stop by Frank design studio, Culture Kings, Sweat Records, and Chuchills!