The Desktop Wallpaper Project

The Desktop Wallpaper Project

Since I started my blog almost a year ago I’ve written almost a thousand posts, made a ton of amazing and talented friends, and learned that keeping a blog going isn’t as easy some people make it look. I’ve also felt that I wanted this blog to be more, and do more, than a normal blog does. Finding the new, cool thing is fun and all, but my blog has grown so much since it started that I felt like I should try and do something more, something that would benefit you, the reader.

First and foremost I decided that I wanted this new project to be free. Well, free doesn’t leave a whole lot of options that don’t include me going into debt, so I had to be creative. What I decided to do was start a project based off the of the Radiohead Desktop Wallpapers I created last year in honor of In Rainbows coming out. This time I decided to write all of my favorite artists and designers, many of which you’ve seen featured on this blog, and see if they’d contribute a wallpaper. As it turns out, my favorite artists and designers happen to be some of the nicest people out there, and so many of them were more than happy to help and be a part of this project, which I’ve called The Desktop Wallpaper Project.

Here’s the plan: I’ll be releasing one desktop wallpaper every Wednesday morning (California time) until I run out of wallpapers. They’ll be free to download, and come in a multitude of monitor sizes, as well as iPhone and PSP versions just for the fun of it. As of writing this, there are 60 artists involved with the project, some of them providing multiple wallpapers. Who are these 60 artists that are participating? Well I’m not telling because I really like secrets and surprises, and I want you all to be surprised and excited come Wednesday.

To get things started though, I’m releasing three wallpapers by three amazing artists: Tim Biskup, Mcbess, and Andrew Groves. Having to narrow down which three wallpapers would go first wasn’t easy, but I wanted to give you a good idea of what the coming months have in store. There are going to be some of the biggest artists out there today, mixed in with some artists you may have never heard of. But the one thing they all have in common is just how creative they all are. Without further ado, here are the first three wallpapers.

The Desktop Wallpaper Project featuring Tim Biskup

The Desktop Wallpaper Project featuring Mcbess

The Desktop Wallpaper Project featuring Andrew Groves

I just want to say thank you to all the artists that are involved with this project. Without them this obviously wouldn’t have been near exciting. Please come back next Wednesday to see who’s wallpaper will pop up next.

60 Comments The Desktop Wallpaper Project

1. Jeff March 5, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Thanks Bobby!

I LOVE the Mcbess one…so rad.

2. Pingback: +KN | Kitsune Noir » The Desktop Wallpaper Project | The Click

3. Robert March 5, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Also from me a BIG THANK YOU! I’m always looking for cool wallpapers and I’ looking forward to what comes up the next few weeks. And I like the kind of “branding” which you created to announce each wallpaper/designer.

BTW: I totally agree with Jeff, the McBess one is great!

4. Aaron March 5, 2008 at 9:35 AM

I just added Andrew’s. Really nice initiative.

5. pketh March 5, 2008 at 10:26 AM

wow , this is really hot. I’ll be checking back regularly for sure.

I also really liked that wood grain image too, hope that becomes a wallpaper one day ;)

6. john March 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Wow! What a great idea and presented brilliantly as always. Congrats on being such a trailblazer:)

All the designs are amazing. I’m sure this project will bring it’s own rewards but thank you for being so generous.

7. Rob McDougall March 5, 2008 at 11:41 AM

wow. these are all great. hope there’s many more on the way :)

8. Angele March 5, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Great initiative from you and for the artists that you write about. There is no better way to share your discoveries!
    Really, you can be proud of yourself :)

9. twenty2wo March 5, 2008 at 12:50 PM

great idea and and i am looking forward to each weeks installments. looks to be quite the collection after this strong start

10. maxjue March 5, 2008 at 1:45 PM

YAY! again, good job!
    yup, that’s all you get.
    60+ more weeks to go.

11. erika March 5, 2008 at 2:57 PM

awesome!! reading your blog everyday is reward enough! this just gives me one more thing to look forward to each week. thanks, bobby!

12. Bobby S.Bobby S. March 5, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Thank you all so much for your kind words! I promise that the wallpapers will continue to be just as awesome as we progress, so no worries!

13. Taylor March 5, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Genius idea!

14. Benjamin March 5, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Superb idea, and really nice to see all the support you get from artists around the world. This new feature on Kitsune Noir is a nice addition to an already great and interesting blog.

Well Done Bobby!

15. Ross March 5, 2008 at 4:19 PM

love em, keep them coming.

16. pp! March 5, 2008 at 4:48 PM

friggin’ rad. muchas gracias.

17. James March 5, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Can’t wait for each Wednesday now :)

18. Pingback: - Music Photography, Film, Music and pop culture » Blog Archive » March Wallpaper

19. b March 6, 2008 at 2:36 AM

pretty cool. I’ve been looking for a new cool wallpaper for a long time now.

i think that line “real artist don’t make wallpapers” was directed to people who base there talent and skill off of wallpapers they submit to mediocre art forums. Like maybe the kind of stuff you’d see on deviant art. (not that all the artists there are hacks, just maybe a third of them are)

20. katie March 6, 2008 at 3:12 AM

fabulous, look forward to seeing more!

21. Ben Rowe March 6, 2008 at 3:53 AM

Brilliant idea Bobby. It’s a really exciting project. Good luck with it.

I’m sure I’ll become addicted to this in no time!

22. john doe March 6, 2008 at 8:43 AM

wow… great stuff! keep em coming, definitely going to be rotating these out over the coming weeks

23. Lisa March 6, 2008 at 11:48 AM

THis is a great idea! I love switching up the look of my desktop- ill spread the word

24. Pingback: stacey george » Blog Archive » Wallpaper Project

25. TheGiuce March 6, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Excellent idea. I have my fingers crossed for wallpapers from Doze Green, Jeff Soto, Sam Flores.

26. Pingback: nortypig » Blog Archive » Desktop Wallpaper Project

27. Pingback: the good machinery

28. Pingback: Lair of the Green Knight » Blog Archive » Friday LinkLuv for March 7, 2008

29. Pingback: TheDesktopWallpaperProject | DALILEO

30. Alistair March 12, 2008 at 4:38 AM

Any chance of 2560 x 1600 versions?

31. Pingback: …Kitsune Noir has begun The Desktop Wallpaper Project? at Didnt You Hear…

32. Amendmen7 March 13, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Big fan of McBess.

33. Pingback: Friday Freebies: Font, Icons and Wallpapers | Developer's Toolbox | Smashing Magazine

34. Pingback: Desktop Wallpaper Project: fondos de pantalla arty | flowmi

35. Pingback: Autodesign » Friday Freebies: Font, Icons and Wallpapers

36. Shannon March 15, 2008 at 9:53 AM

2560 x 1600 please!

37. walina March 17, 2008 at 2:34 PM

great McBESS! love it.. well done Bobby!

38. Pingback: Design Shrine | Friday Freebies: Font, Icons and Wallpapers | Interior, Architecture and Web Design Blog

39. Plastic Freaks March 23, 2008 at 1:33 PM

We want More McBESS!

40. Jay March 25, 2008 at 2:26 AM

While these are really nice pieces of artwork, they don’t really make for great wallpapers. I think people often do not think about keeping your desktop functional when making desktop wallpaper. If they’re too busy you won’t see your icons.

AGain, very nice work though.

41. SimonHL March 25, 2008 at 11:40 AM

They are indeed busy. But there’s so many incredibly boring wallpapers out there, that it’s a pleasure to see someone do something else.

I tried the one called UPSO, but it was to much. But i use IMAKETHINGS at the moment, and works well as a wallpaper, imo.

I’d rather have the artist go nuts, than worrying about functionality :-)

42. Pingback: Karin Hagen » In Search of Lost Time

43. Pingback: Art And Stuff Found Around The Web | Art Palaver

44. Danny April 7, 2008 at 3:05 AM

I may as well jump on the bandwagon here. I freakin’ <3 the Mcbess wallpaper. I half expect it to spring into full blown animation everytime I look at it. Fantastic.

45. Cait August 14, 2008 at 6:05 AM

This is so very excellent.

I feel like I’ve just come to ‘The Wire’ after everyone else has seen it, and I’m 3 seasons behind.

So I’m starting at the beginning, but of course, I have spoilers for each new weekly episode :)

Thank you for doing such a lovely idea.

46. Pingback: Scharf: Design-Wallpapers für Deinen Desktop | bloguru

47. schlippeh January 4, 2009 at 11:55 AM

many thanks keep em comin! desktops are definitely one of the larger mediums for art these days. Only going to get bigger…

48. Jane February 1, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Nice project, the wallpaper with hieroglyphs is awesome!

Good luck!

49. Sam February 19, 2009 at 6:29 AM

Really really creative stuff, love it! Keep it up

50. Pingback: Three very nice wallpapers

51. eduardo b. June 13, 2009 at 11:31 PM

omg mcbeth is amazing.. i got some work like him but man.. mine is more color-ish hehe .. i want my mind to be recognized also!! hit me up or send me a message if interested in my art pls!!

52. isa July 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Thanx a lot! I loved this project and downloaded some amazing wallpapers. Artists here are really talented.

53. Tina L April 14, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I re-installed windows just recently and forgot to save Kitsune’s wallpaper. I was soooo upset when I couldn’t find it online anymore! I tried for a few days, googling “cool wallpapers”, and finally, one day I actually found it (today)!!!! SOOO HAPPY RIGHT NOW! My fave wallpaper of all time. :)

54. Pingback: Things To Do With Desktop Wallpaper | Fun Things To Do With