Live-Action Akira Movie Coming in 2009

That little headline got me all excited. A week ago FirstShowing.net revealed that the most well known anime in the world is getting the Hollywood treatment next summer. The rights were purchased by Warner Bros. who describe the film as “Blade Runner meets City of God”, which when you think about it like that, it sounds even better. They’re also saying that the movie going to be based more-so on the manga than on the anime, which should make for a much bigger story. One thing that FirstShowing mentions is that it might be taking place in “New Manhattan” instead of a neo-Tokyo. This would be pretty damn annoying if it was, Japan is the perfect setting for this movie, and always will be.

I think as long as they get a good director, don’t butcher the screenplay, and give it a decent budget, this should be awesome. They should just let the Wachowskis do it since they’re already directing Japan’s other most famous anime, which is also being produced by Warner Bros. I don’t even care for them that much, I just don’t think they’d screw up.

Who else would be cool for this project? Leave me some suggestions in the comments.

12 Comments Live-Action Akira Movie Coming in 2009

1. b February 27, 2008 at 4:26 PM

I don’t trust warner bros. to handle a movie like this well. Look at how they’re treating Spike Jonze with Where the Wild Things Are. It’s ridiculous.
    But i definitely agree, it should take place in japan. If they westernize the setting too much it just might be a dud, but who knows. :p

2. Bobby S.Bobby S. February 27, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Well his short film looked pretty rad, and he definitely has a knack for sci-fi, so maybe he’ll pull off something amazing?

Thanks for posting those e!

3. Rob McDougall February 27, 2008 at 5:11 PM

No way! Ruari Robinson! I know of him! He was at the oscars when he was like 23 for his 3D work. I’m gonna have to go message him on Facebook now :P

4. Joe February 27, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Great. Now that annoying friend that’s always yelling “This is Sparta!” will be yelling “Tetsuooo!!!” instead.

5. Justin R February 28, 2008 at 7:43 AM

Alfonso Cuarón.

6. Tall Face February 28, 2008 at 7:45 AM

i’ve heard the New Manhattan talk, and the Leonardo Dicaprio leading man bollocks, and have to say that if this movie is to be anything CLOSE to how amazing the books are, it’s going to need someone behind the lens that really cares about the story…and i mean REALLY cares

like Mr. Jackson’s devotion to Tolkien’s tale for example. if that attention to detail is lacking, and there is no desire to preserve the greatness that was initially created, i fear this remake will suffer like the lot before it…..and suck BIG ONES :(

please stop destroying my childhood hollywood

thanks,
    – Tall Face

7. e February 28, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Cheers. My friend sent me this. He said it was a fullly working version of the bike(site in Japanese). It’s not for the movie though.

I’m also scared for this movie. I hope he pulls it off. As long as Will Smith isn’t in it I’m fine.

8. Chad February 29, 2008 at 8:39 PM

It is only a matter of time before they announce that the role of Kaneda will be played by Matt Damon… and they are changing the name Kaneda to John Evrymahn.

Sometimes I hate America.

9. Little Kid March 10, 2008 at 9:22 AM

Please god can they just cast some cool English speaking Japanese people?

Please?

10. Bob Barker October 19, 2008 at 7:57 PM

I don’t believe I’ve seen any ‘cool English speaking Japanese people’ to cast in Hollywood.