Evan Hecox at Kinsey/Desforges

Last night I headed out to Culver City, an area that’s become a breeding ground for new galleries, for Evan Hecox’s new show at the Kinsey/Desforges Gallery (formerly BLK/MRKT). There weren’t a ton of pieces in the show, but they were all amazingly detailed and easy to stare at for long periods of time. I talked with Evan’s wife Shawn for a while about the show, and she told me that Evan and her sister’s husband flew down to Mexico City and would wander the streets taking photos all day. She also said that they stayed in a “hipster part of town” which I thought was funny. Does anyone live in Mexico City or near there know where she’s talking about? I’m curious to know where it might be.

Another interesting thing she talked about was that the backgrounds washes of the paintings and the trees usually take him the longest, while the foreground objects like cars are a breeze for him. I can see the backgrounds taking a long time, and definitely the trees, but it’s amazing that he finds the detailed parts to be easiest to do.

If you have a chance I highly suggest going to see the show, which runs until March 22nd. And if you’d like a piece of his work from the show, I suggest you head over to Arkitip and try and get yourself one of his Mexico City prints, which is already on it’s third printing because the first two sold out the day they were released!
EDIT: You can also still pick up originals from the BLK/MRKT store as well. I didn’t realize that the images came in series of 10!

Check out more photos from the show under the cut, and even more in my Flickr set.

9 Comments Evan Hecox at Kinsey/Desforges

1. michell halley February 24, 2008 at 4:24 PM

hey there. stopped by your site, and evidently saw the post.. i´m from mexico city and the “hipster” zone could be la condesa or la roma.. (la roma is more interesting)…
    loved evan hecoxs´things, they portray a romantic side of mexico, in my point of view.
    all the best
    michell halley_

2. Bobby S.Bobby S. February 25, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Very cool, thank for the info Michell.

3. kc February 25, 2008 at 1:55 PM

er, if you want a piece from the show, contact the gallery!!

4. Bobby S.Bobby S. February 25, 2008 at 3:39 PM

There were a lot of red stickers next to the pieces, so I’m not sure there’s much left…

5. Bobby S.Bobby S. February 25, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Ohhhh, editions of 10!
    Thanks KC!

6. kate February 26, 2008 at 12:55 PM

i L O V E his work. thank you for posting his latest exhibit.

oh, as a DF first time visitor last month – i would recommend the condesa. especially parc mexico and los manas de che for a bev. (DF/Chiapas pics if interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kateshanley/)

7. Ed Fladung April 5, 2008 at 11:09 PM

yeah, Condesa is definitely the hipster area. even has a “Design Hotelâ„¢” called Condesa DF. great area though. cafes, galleries, arty stores, centrally located, etc….

good post btw

8. Pingback: +KN | Kitsune Noir » The Last Thousand Years: A New Exhibit by Evan Hecox