Photos from Two Lines Align featuring Geoff McFetridge

Last night after work I headed right over to the REDCAT for Two Lines Align, Geoff McFetridge and Ed Fella’s new show. I’d never been to the REDCAT before (REDCAT stands for Roy and Edna Disney CalArts Theater, it’s in Downtown LA) so it was fun to finally see what it’s like inside. The space itself was really big, think of a large restaurant, and includes a big gallery space and a laminated plywood-looking bar area.

Geoff McFetridge definitely took advantage of the space, painting giant murals and constructing a big installation which you get to walk through and in. He of course had work on the walls as well, but another cool thing he did was have a display box with a ton of his commercial work, like Virgin Suicides posters, the Nike Vandal Supremes he made (which I wanted to STEAL! haha), and even the Rooney logo, which I had no idea he made. It was pretty gratifying to see his work in person finally. I was talking to my friend Frank about his work, and we decided that it’s hard to do something really complex, but it’s just as hard to create something extremely simple, and therein lies his genius for me. I also got to talk to him for a few minutes and he was a really nice, cool guy.

I wasn’t a big fan of Ed Fella’s work, it was too all over the place for me and didn’t have enough cohesion. But if he helped inspire Mr. McFetridge in anyway, then I’m extremely grateful for his work. Check out under the cut for a TON of pics, and then check out a TON more on my Two Lines Align Flickr set.

12 Comments Photos from Two Lines Align featuring Geoff McFetridge

1. Tony February 21, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Absolutely my favourite designer/illustrator/animator/art director/etc, although sometimes I wish I had never seen his work because I sometimes find myself producing an image and thinking “looks like something Geoff would do (but obviously better)” so discarding it!

2. ray February 21, 2008 at 1:18 PM

you are clearly ignorant if you didnt know eds work before the show. “didn’t have enough cohesion” you should read up.

3. Bobby S.Bobby S. February 21, 2008 at 1:24 PM

I think what’s ignorant is writing a stupid comment about a person’s opinion, my friend.

Just because you’ve “read up” doesn’t make you right in any way, shape, or form.

4. Randozzi February 21, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Man I wish I could see it in person! Looks amazing. Geoff McF. is a talented dude.

5. Bobby S.Bobby S. February 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM

It’s a really fun show, I want to go back again before it ends.

6. a February 21, 2008 at 9:01 PM

with eds work.. it covered a lot of time in comparison to geoffs. it was obvious that eds work was a basis of over 30 years of experimention while geoffs covered maybe the last 10 years. personally, i guess as a calarts design student its hard for me to be so super suprised everytime i see eds work or work like that because i see it daily around calarts, but he has influence, thats for sure, and hes a very good teacher responsible for inspiring a lot of the people there last night,

7. Tim Dieterle February 21, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Wow, Ed Fella is definately a pioneer! I love Geoff’s work for a lot of reasons, but you’ve gotta give props to Fella as well. They’re so different and similar at the same time. I see how Geoff may have been inspired early on by Ed. Great concept for a show!

8. Bobby S.Bobby S. February 21, 2008 at 9:09 PM

I totally agree with both of you. I can see how he could be a great teacher and an inspiration to a lot of artists. I just personally like Geoff’s style more than Ed’s, doesn’t mean he’s not talented or a good guy.

9. Pingback: guillotine » Blog Archive » GEOFF MCFETRIDGE - TWO LINE ALIGN @ REDCAT - LA - OPENING

10. cindy March 4, 2008 at 9:02 PM

i went to this show as well, and it was one of the best shows i’ve been to here in l.a. in a while!

11. Pingback: DoNotDestroy Blog » Two Lines Align featuring Geoff McFetridge

12. Pingback: +KN | Kitsune Noir » Photos from Two Lines Align featuring Geoff McFetridge » Matt Varone