Meet My New Child, Tippy

Last weekend, Jeff and I were shopping at IKEA, when out of nowhere he suggests that we get a fish. I’ve had fish before, and I usually get bored of them, but I thought, what the hell, let’s do it. So we found a big glass vase, and then headed to the janky, bootleg pet store down the street.
When we got there, the selection for fishes was quite slim, but then Jeff noticed something swimming in the water,

“Oh look, it’s a turtle!”

Sure enough, swimming around the tank was the cutest little turtle, no bigger than two quarters put end to end. I looked around the store more, but all i could think about was that adorable little turtle. Everyone has fish, but how many people do you know have a turtle? Like none. So we bought the turtle and took him home. His name is Tippy, named after someone’s childhood dog. I thought the name was cute, so I totally stole it. He’s a Red-ear slider, and is a lot of fun to watch swim.

Kitsune Noir may just have a new mascot.

10 Comments Meet My New Child, Tippy

1. electro^plankton January 22, 2008 at 10:09 PM

I have 5 of the same turtles! Well, actually just 2 now. The first 3 passed away years ago. The two left, Fro Fro 4 and Fro Fro 5 are just over 5 years old and they are BIG! The size of my hand.

One thing I learned is to ALWAYS wash your hands with antibacterial soap after touching them. They carry nasty bacteria. I had this insane skin infection that took 2 weeks to clear up.

Congrats on ur turts! Mine likes pellets and dried shrimp.

2. Daina D. January 23, 2008 at 1:36 AM

That’s so cool! I used to have one of those, but he (she?) was much bigger, almost the size of A4 sheet. Actually I have no idea how old he was. A very clever creature ;-)

3. Sarah January 23, 2008 at 8:25 AM

We’ve got one of those at the coffee shop i work at! Her name is Bibi she’s 10years old now and as big as a serving platter! She likes chicken best and is the friendliest thing.. she follows your face around the tank and just generally rules. Yay turtles!

4. Dawson January 23, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Congrats! I’ve had one, Palla Palla, for the past 11 years, they grow up so fast, get ready :)

5. Bobby S.Bobby S. January 23, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Thanks everyone!
    Yeah, he’s pretty dang cute so far.
    My one concern is with feeding him. Jeff and I think he’s eating his food, but we don’t see him eat it.
    How often do you feed these guys when they’re this young?

6. Hakan January 24, 2008 at 1:41 AM

All turtles, including your, will need something to climbe on above the surface otherwise it can drown. A stone above the water would do fine.

7. Sara January 25, 2008 at 4:48 AM

Oo, please get a bigger tank for him with a rock or something for him to climb onto.
    For most things in life, I’m into the minimalistic style – but I’m pretty sure that that does not go for turtles. They are probably happiest if they get some rainforest-style habitat…

8. Nina January 25, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Jeff is a fucking genius. But we knew that. :D

(GO TIPPY!)

9. Daina D. January 27, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Well I fed mine once a week. But the new owners do it every day. Salad, carrot, apple, occasional raw fish… or those crackers from pet store. But vegetables should be a priority!

10. Kyle January 27, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Weirdly, when I was in high school, I used to draw minicomics featuring a turtle named Tippy. She was a girl, though…