I don’t think this really counts as liveblogging, since I’m only able to read what other blogs are writing, buy I’ll try to sum up best what Steve Jobs is announcing as he announces it! Here are some main points so far:
+ Macbook Air is real. It’s the world’s thinnest laptop at 0.76 inches down to 0.16. He has it in a manilla envelope, it’s that thin!!!
Steve looks frigging ecstatic about this, as he should be, it’s amazing looking. It costs $1799, and ships in two weeks.
- It looks like it’s aluminum, has black, back-lit keys, a 13.3 inch LED back-lit display, built in iSight camera, a full size keyboard, and a trackpad with multi-touch gesture support like the iPhone.
- It has USB 2, a microDVI port, a headphone jack, and power supply has the MagSafe connector.
- Wirelesssly it has 802.11n WiFi and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. When surfing the web with WiFi it gets 5 hours of battery life.
- It doesnâ€™t have an optical drive internal, but you can buy a separate USB-powered SuperDrive thatâ€™s especially made for the MacBook Air for $99.
- They shrunk everything! The hard drive is the same one the iPod uses, the Mac board is a little wider than a pencil, and the Intel processor was shrunk by 60%! The CPU is the width of a dime, and the thickness of a nickel.
+ Jim Gianopulos, the CEO of Fox just announced that they’ll start embedding their DVDs with a downloadable version of the movie that you can put on your computer!
+ New Apple TV that works independently from your computer. It still can sync to your computer, but it’s not required.
You can still watch YouTube through it, as well as buy movies and music through it, which will then sync back to your computer.
Movies can be rented in DVD quality and in HD!! It only costs a dollar more for the HD format.
The price for the new Apple TV is being cut to $229, from $299, and new software downloads will be available to all existing owners.
+ iTunes Movie Rentals is here. All major studios involved including Touchstone, MGM, Miramax, Lions Gate, Fox, WB, Walt Disney, Paramount, Universal, and Sony.
You can watch the movies on any of your devices, Mac or PC, iPods or iPhones.
Older movies will be $2.99, new releases are $3.99.
You have 30 days to watch it. Once you start watching it, you have 24 hours to complete it.
Streaming the movie should take only 30 SECONDS!!!!
New version of iTunes comes out today.
+ The iTunes Store last week sold it’s 4 BILLIONTH SONG. On X-Mas day alone they sold 20 million songs alone.
+ They’ve also added Mail, Maps, Stocks, Notes and Weather to the iPod Touch as well. Except if you want to use it they’ll be a $20 dollar charge, I’m guessing it’ll be through AT&T.
+ iPhone firmware 1.1.3 will be released today.
+ NEW FUNCTION! You can now rearrange your home screen in any way you choose. This was also on the video that was floating around a couple weeks ago. The icons start to wiggle, and you can drag them into a new location.
You can have 9 pages of home screens.
+ You can add webclips, I’m guessing from YouTube, to your home screen, I guess to show people immediately. Kind of weird.
+ You can now text message multiple people at one time, THANK GOD!
+ New features for the iPhone include finding yourself in Google Maps. Looks just like the video that was floating around the web a couple weeks ago. You can get directions immediately from where you are.
+ The iPhone has sold 4 million units in only 200 days, and has 19% of the mobile phone market.
+ Time Capsule, a companion to Time Machine that will back up ALL of your Macs wirelessly. It’s an Airport Extreme and a hard drive in one, basically. Comes in 500GB and 1 TERABYTE models, priced at $299 and $499 resepctively. Holy Shit.