Tecktonik

I have an old livejournal that I sometimes check up on to see what old friends are doing and if any of the creative ones have posted anything exciting. Last night, I noticed my friend Sipho had posted about something called Tecktonik, a new kind of dancing that’s blowing up over in France. It’s a kind of mash up of several styles, like hip hop, rave, disco and pop and lock. I watched the videos he had posted (like the one above) and I was absolutely transfixed by them! They moved so fluidly and so fast, and it just looks so rad! I like when they move their feet along with the arm movements, it’s kind of surreal!

It’s also interesting to note that the term ‘Tecktonik’ is a copyrighted word, and “they can legally force “anti-tecktonik” blogs to be closed in order to protect their brand”. Or at least that’s what Wikipedia says (so it must be true). If you enjoyed the video above, look up Tecktonik on Youtube where there are a whole lot more of these videos.

A lot of you readers are from Europe, and some of you have probably seen this before. What do you think about it?

10 Comments Tecktonik

1. Seth December 9, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Pretty cool, I wonder if this is big in Japan too. I don’t go to clubs so I don’t know but this looks like something that could catch on here.

2. pp! December 9, 2007 at 4:58 PM

i worked in paris this summer and was soooo jealous of the crazy kids who were busting out these moves. my mc hammer-inspired gyrations weren’t impressing anybody.

3. Rosie* December 10, 2007 at 3:07 AM

Heya, I live in Paris and this dance movement is growing at an incredible speed. I’m not sure of where it started, I’ve heaard that it actually started in Belgium. It’s like the new wave of electronic dancing for the young masses. This years Techno Parade had the usual techno heads but a massive outpour of young tecktonik dancers. Their dancing is a mix between vogueing /80’s body poppin and stomping/ 70’s disco arms / industrial techno crazy dancing / Michael Jackson dancing and spiderman hands. Sometimes they wear one single glove and t-shirts that say “tecktonik Killer” with drawings of a big eagle and spiked up hair.

A lot of teenagers and 20 something tecktonik dancers gather around in public places and dance, much like breakdancing.

There is a record shop in Paris who owns the copyright to Tektonic. They organise a dance class at a gym in the center of Paris every Sunday with their dancers and promoters. I went to check it out with my sister and even tho most of the people are quite young (children of around 11 included) there are some er…older people of about 30 who go aswell. The teachers are friendly and get everyone involved and at the end they have a dance off 80’s breakdance style. I think it’s the same group who organises the parties too.

I am 30 and even tho I did my fair share of uhm…”raving” when I was younger, I feel way too old to even try to grasp the music or dance style. When it’s done well it’s impressive, if not it’s like saturday night fever on bad acid, regardles it’s cool to be able to see it on the streets of Paris.

4. Clem December 10, 2007 at 7:07 AM

Just a precision : the video clip you posted is the video clip of a french electro artist called Yelle (famous in a certain extent outside France’s borders for her title “Je Veux Te Voir”). She hired some tecktonik dancers for her video, but the music she makes is OK and very far from the awful techno stuff tecktonik dancers usually dance to. If you want to listen to typical tecktonik crap music, type “Mondotek alive” on YouTube. The video that really started the phenomenon on You Tube is also called “Jey Jey Danse”. Enjoy. I don’t really do myself.

5. Horst December 10, 2007 at 8:39 AM

the yelle video is so amazing
    i was totally thrilled by he moves
    and now i even know that there’s a name for it…weird

btw someone knows a tecktonik class?

6. Leggoz December 10, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Yea that stuff is getting hot in Holland as well I guess…that video is very populair right now…
    they are like snakes or something:P

7. Robyn December 10, 2007 at 5:36 PM

I can’t stop watching this! I would love for this to catch on here (Montréal). Perhaps it has but because I have stopped going out due to the freezing temperatures I wouldn’t know.

8. ju January 4, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Tecktonik is a label, so people try to get rid of the name, and try to name the dance differently (milky way, electro dance…)
    this dance takes a lot from hip hop, mj, voguing, some of them take also from jumpstyle, a kind of dance mostly seen in belgium and the north, where several people do the same jumps at the same time, kind of close to folk dances but with a techno twist, and not as good looking as electrodance/tecktonik. It is a real new dance with its own codes, people gather in teams and do battles against other teams, their move combinations are called “phases”, you can see them around centre pompidou in paris and les halles area.
    the music they listen to is quite different from a team to another, as this dance just needs a good bpm average to be danced, a lot of them go to the metropolis, a suburban club with crap techno, and the red light is also a good spot to find tecktonik boys and girls (the music is a little better)you find them also in good electro clubs and parties, such as Furie at the tryptique and Java, and Mort aux Jeunes at Java.

9. maxibon October 12, 2008 at 7:51 PM

hi. does anyone know where i can buy the tecktonik killer tees online?

max_1989@hotmail.com