Selexyz Dominicanen

What do you get when you combine and 800 year old Dominican church with an upscale bookstore? Just the most awesome bookstore ever! This is the Selexyz Dominicanen, a bookstore that’s been built into a beautiful ex-church in the city of Masstracht, Netherlands. With a minimal amount of floorspace, the architects chose to build upward, utilizing the extremely tall ceilings (yet still getting nowhere near them).

I love how amazingly the old and new blend together. The dark steel of the giant bookshelves makes the church aspect of it seem even more important and beautiful. I would love to see how it looks at night, I have a feeling it would be absolutely amazing. There’s even a small café in the back of the space to drink and enjoy your book in the wonderful space.

I want more of this kind of stuff in LA!

Found through The Cool Hunter

10 Comments Selexyz Dominicanen

1. zac December 6, 2007 at 2:09 AM

wow…very cool.

its very unfortunate that LA doesn’t have any 800 year old buildings

2. Hunn December 6, 2007 at 6:07 AM

Well I had the fortunate chance of having visited Maastricht…beautiful city with great museums like the NAi (Netherlands Architecture Institute) and the Bonnefanten (having pieces from LeWitt, Serra, Beuys, Nauman…) and great shopping.

And yes the bookstore looks as good as it does in these photos. simply impressive and awe inspiring.

3. Maurice December 6, 2007 at 9:14 AM

Wow, nice, as I live near Maastricht, never seen this store before, but will check it out soon I guess. Thanks for the hint… :)

4. typehigh December 6, 2007 at 6:41 PM

Wow, that is great. If it wasn’t on the other side of the country I would go and have a look.

By the way, isn’t there an rss feed to your blog?

5. Ian Yang December 6, 2007 at 9:22 PM

a place like this would make me a faithful church-and-bookstore goer! ;)

6. becca December 12, 2007 at 1:35 PM

wow. This rules

7. Chris Sharps December 17, 2007 at 7:44 PM

looks like a wonderful bookshop!

Do you have a link to a web address for it at all to get details of it’s location?

8. Matthew April 9, 2008 at 3:07 AM

Typehigh

“If it wasn’t on the other side of the country I would go and have a look.” We’re only talking the Netherlands here – its hardly big. Surely you can get there?

M

9. lactatingbookworm April 10, 2008 at 7:25 AM

Arghh I’m in Australia. All of a sudden Maastricht is higher up on my list of destinations

10. Pingback: We are the kids who feel like this :: Organised Chaos v2.0