MPRIES / The Best Supermarkets in the World

MPRIES / The Best Supermarkets in the World

MPRIES / The Best Supermarkets in the World

The MPRIES in Sarrasine

American supermarkets take notice! This is what a supermarket SHOULD look like!
MPRIES is a family owned Austrian supermarket chain that employs up and coming architects to design the most amazing supermarkets I think I’ve ever seen. They use interesting materials, exciting and unique lighting, and each store has it’s own site specific design. Attention to detail is seen not only in the outside but the inside as well, giving customers an extremely comfortable environment to shop in. I want to go to Austria to check all of these out now! The closest thing we have to this in America would be Whole Foods.

Since MPRIES’ website is all in German, I’ve taken all of the cool pictures of nearly EVERY store they have to show everyone really how cool these stores are! You should be extremely jealous you don’t have one of these close to you!

+BRAMBERG

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
+WEISANBACH

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
+ZIRL

23 Comments MPRIES / The Best Supermarkets in the World

1. Jeff Quinn May 25, 2007 at 10:40 AM

can you imagine the US having supermarkets like this? because I can’t. the whole idea is just so anti-American, and that’s sad to me. no, we have to have these big boxy giant super stores that are nothing but monolithic eye-sores. if you ask me the whole “american way” needs to be completely redefined.

2. dilys June 9, 2007 at 6:19 AM

There’s certainly a place for these — as you note the Austin Whole Foods is a great success. But I wonder if Jeff (above) has grocery-shopped and cooked for a family for years on end. I relish my rather small&dowdy familiar nearby market with a fresh predictable supply of what I need, park-at-the-door in-and-out, no need to dress for the child-free theater of it all.

And when I’m a touring foodie, not a 3xday short order chef, yes, I happily amble around Central Market and venues that resemble these coldly handsome gloss&glass spaces, in the US and elsewhere.

3. g texas June 24, 2007 at 11:14 AM

wow!!!! wish texas would reconsider before cutting down trees and flattening all the hills they have for construction. This is to be learned from.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS FOR PUTTING SUCH COOL PICTURES ON LINE SURE SPEAK A THOUSAND WORDS.G FROM TEXAS

4. Christopher September 1, 2007 at 7:00 PM

What a nice surprise. Beautiful architecture, and can only imagine the inventory. Looking for more great sites that showcase great groceries and supermarkets of the world. Nice concept, and wonderful site.

5. Amr September 14, 2007 at 1:37 PM

outstanding outlets it will be great if open here in libya , if you are intersted , pleas replay

thanks and regards.

6. Pingback: Los supermercados bakanes del planeta -- www.192.cl

7. Francisco Galarraga March 12, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Very beautiful. It’s a lesson that even the most mundane tasks can involve beautiful surroundings, beautiful experiences. Great article!.

8. Roy April 4, 2008 at 11:52 PM

These are very nice stores, I was in Austria on a supermarket visit recently and saw first hand just what they are like. Much better than Whole Foods in London!

9. Pingback: Digno De Nota » Consumindo Arquitetura

10. Lee February 23, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Beautiful but not functional. That’s why the same crap cost 3 times as much in Europe.

Yes, Obama & Hitler give/gave good speeches. We will never become Europe, and I am damn glad we will not.

11. BobbyBobby February 23, 2009 at 7:41 PM

@Lee – You’re an idiot. Stop being an ignorant ass.

12. Patty February 28, 2009 at 11:05 PM

hahahahah Lee’s comment sounds sincere so much

anyway, I love this supermarket; it’s not supermarket but also be the amazing destination

I think it’s so functional for me to select many things there for many hours

13. shkodran March 21, 2009 at 4:26 PM

very amazing super markets

14. Mr Lee April 28, 2009 at 2:08 AM

I recently discovered NIEDERNDORF while driving to Munich from Innesbruck. the whole setting was out of this world. Not sure how MPries would tackle an urban context like london although we would definitely have the right market for these stores. Mpries come to England we need quality like you !

15. ed May 26, 2009 at 1:54 PM

It is MPREIS not MPRIES

16. samuel rikpossou July 3, 2009 at 3:36 PM

sincerely the supermaket is wonderful. i wish i will have the opportunity to visit and buy there one day at least to have a glance of that magnificant supermarket.

17. paresh July 11, 2009 at 5:29 AM

yes they are class of art.something class.well impressed

18. Pingback: The Best Supermarkets in the World :: grocerylists.org | The Grocery List Collection (weird lists, funny books, downloadable PDFs & more)

19. kimo newman September 26, 2009 at 4:47 AM

This supermarket is the best i’ve ever seen in my whole entire life, i’ve lived in U.S.A for 25 years i’ve never seen something like this. My question is this ? can we do better than that: I don’t know…..

20. m k November 6, 2009 at 11:22 PM

very good supermarket , hope I can communicate with you as I am working as GM to a chain of supermarket in dubai

21. hamed mombeini December 8, 2009 at 4:46 AM

very goooooood!!! very amazing supermarkets!!! i hope that we can build one of them in iran!

22. an american April 28, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I stayed for a week in Axams (rando city in the mountains outside of Innsbruck) last summer, but travelled all around Europe for about 2 months (I was a college student at the time.) MPREIS was the best out off all super markets I went to anywhere in Europe. The atmosphere was much nicer than any supermarket I have been to anywhere in America. Really, I did not find prices to be so outrageous that I couldn’t afford the food I wanted (except for the premium I was paying on the exchange rate.) MREIS rocks. How hard? Well I’ll put it this way, I just googled it for fun and it’s been almost a year since I’ve actually been to one.

23. Pingback: Superdooper market « edited & selected goodness